The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

View Poll Results: How many of you guys tie flies?
Yes, I've been tying flies for awhile. 41 70.69%
Just started tying flies 9 15.52%
I don't tie flies yet, but want to learn. 6 10.34%
Don't have time. Too busy studying and doing homework 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: How many of you tie flies?

I have just started tying recently, but like RayMo, I'm not very good at it. I try to tie at least 12 of each pattern when I tie and the first 3-4 really look bad but get better from there. And like RayMo, the fish don't seem to mind much.
I have "invented" a few patterns that I'll post up when I get my new camera. One is a tan midge, glass bead head, tan thread with red wire rib, simple but deadly. A new one I just made up is what I call Jumpin Black Flash. It's has a clear glass bead head, black krystal flash body covered with Sally's for gloss and durability. Another killer.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

Just started tying. Love it!!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I tye. However, the genes that make you good with your hands and/or artsy were sucked out of my brains by aliens long ago, so my flies don't look so hot. Fortunately, the fish don't seem to care as much as I do.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I've been tying for 20-25 years, mostly flies I use myself, but I give some away, and in particular I like to give flies to my fisherman friends. I tie trout, largemouth, smallmouth, and striper flies. Tying deer hair, particularly bass bugs, has become a favorite of mine. I believe my tying has made a big difference in my fishing, its helped my become a better fisherman. Not that my flies are better than those you can buy, but I have a lot of different patterns, and more importantly, I research what flies are working at a particular stream or lake then tie a bunch in different sizes, sometime colors, etc. Another great aspect of tying is that I can go to my office and tie whenever I feel like it, for hours or for 10 minutes; it keeps me in touch with fishing when I can't get away to go fishing. I highly recommend it for any fly fisherman who's never tied their own flies.

Tom
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Tie to mach the hatch.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

If I didn't tie it, I don't fly it.

Dave
noreaster likes this.

Last edited by littledavid123; 01-13-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I tie my flies since around 20 years, but I always try to reduce the number of materials to keep it simple

THORSTEN