Alaska's Salmonstock 2011 Huge Success
August 5th through 7th over 3,000 people attended Alaska’s newest multidimensional music and arts festival at the Kenai Peninsula Fairgrounds in Ninilchik, Alaska showing their support for wild salmon stocks.
Over 35 acts performed on three stages, virtually around the clock over the three days. Playing to celebrate wild Alaska salmon & raise awareness for conserving their habitat from impending threats such as the Pebble and Chuitna mines, national headliners including Jackie Greene, Great American Taxi, Clinton Fearon, and Bill Kreutzmann & the 7 Walkers gave dynamic and crowd pleasing performances each evening. Supporting these acts was a wide array of Alaskan artists and bands who were very well received by the attendees who traveled from all over the state to participate in the first
Elevating the event, artists Ray Troll and Memo created stunning life-sized salmon murals adding to the ambiance of the weekend. On Saturday afternoon at the festival, Homer artist Mavis Muller organized nearly 400 people of all ages, who joined together to participate in an “action of art” by creating a human mosaic ground design to make a statement that they love wild Alaska salmon.
Adding to the diversity of the weekend was a series of lectures and presentations in the education center as well as opportunities for getting involved in the political process in the festival’s action center. The event also had an indigenous element with the highlight being performances by the New Stuyahok Dancers. The Native Alaskan elders flew in from their remote village and performed before the headliners each night offering a much appreciated glimpse into a culture intimately connected to wild Alaska salmon.
Articles by the same author
- Volunteers Required to Teach Fishing in New Hampshire
- Marijuana Could Wipe out Salmon…
- Oregon Biologists Poised to Rescue Deschutes River Fish
- Phil Greenlee to Speak at Florida Fly Fishing Expo
- British Fly Fishing Firm to Expand in New Hampshire
- Illinois Catch and Release
- Florida Fly Fishing Expo Announces October Classes with Bob Clouser and Wanda Taylor
- Abel Dancing Bears Grateful Dead Series Reels
- Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers has a New Owner
- Ride the Tide - Fly Fishing for Winter Steelhead