View Single Post

Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly tying starter set

Peregrines--Excellent post. Your advice speaks to advantages/disadvantages of both sides.

My first tying set was a kit that my father gave me as a Christmas gift maybe 10 years ago. I didn't know it at the time, but the tools weren't the greatest and the materials weren't either. None the less I still maintain that it was one of the best gifts I've ever recieved. Since then, that set has long been retired and tools and vise have been upgraded. Although I do find that I am able to use some of the materials from time to time.

It did get me into the game and allowed me to test my abilities with fly tying. Also, I considered those flies/materials as "practice". Once I realized how much I enjoyed tying, I knew it was time to upgrade. Buy the materials for the patterns you're tying. Add some years at a tying bench and undoubtely, you will end up with quite a supply of materials.

If you are considering going the seperate route, JS Fly fishing is having a sale this month on vises. I have dealt with these folks before and prices, selection, quality and CS are excellent.

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials