View Single Post

Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Line recommendations for small rods?

Hi fredy,

With a 2wt you are doing finesse fishing and not long distance. You want your performance to be in the first 30' and not much more than 40'. At these distances the front 30' of a Dt or WF is nearly identical. You can look at the RIO Trout Lt and see that the wt and taper of the DT and WF are nearly the same. The first 30' of both lines weigh in at 80 grains. It is after the first 40' that you will see the advantage of the WF in distance. Buying a DT and making it into two lines makes sense to me. I wouldn't consider a WF until you get up to a 5WT or maybe a 4WT.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that the diagram is for a 5wt not a 2wt. I posted the diagram so you can see that the front tapers of the DT and WF lines are the same. You can see the actual measurements at RIO's Site. It is in table form and you have to scan down to see it.

Frank

RIO Trout LT Fly Line
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 03-22-2011 at 03:51 PM.