View Single Post

Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 AM

dillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud ofdillon has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why did you go two hand?

I switched from a single hand rod to a spey rod for steelhead fishing because it was the cool thing to do. Well, not entirely true. It happened one day on the Deschutes River when I was taking a two day guided trip I won in a raffle. The guide catered to Spey fishers and he wanted to convert me. There were four boats and eight anglers. I was the only one with a single hander. On the second day, I finally caved in and gave it a try. Big mistake! It has cost me thousands of dollars (think Sarcione, Hatch, Winston, T&T). Seriously, it changed my fishing life. I stuck with it and became a competent caster. I use the spey rod on the Deschutes because I believe it is a better casting tool. I can fish places I could not fish well with a single hander because my back cast was obstructed by tall stream side grasses and Alder trees. It is especially advantageous to me as a right hander when I am fishing river right. That is most of the time when fishing the road. I feel my fly is also in the water more as there is no false casting and I can cast farther making longer wider swings. In the winter it enables me to cast large flies and sinking tips with ease. It's a whole new ball game, and I'm one of the guides best friends now.

I still use a single hand rod for all of my trout fishing, even on the Deschutes. I would also use one for small stream steelheading, or dead drifting a nymph, both of which I seldom if ever do anymore. I can't help with bass or striper fishing.

Last edited by dillon; 01-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post