View Single Post

Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 PM

ts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud ofts47 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater?

There's nothing wrong with the Clearwater reel. My first rod/reel setup was a Redington Red Fly 2. I've just recently gotten serious about the sport and bought more rods - one being the Clearwater combo in a 4 wt. It casts better than my Redfly 2 ever did. As long as you take care of it, all pieces of that combo will last you a long time!! I did upgrade the line to the Helios 3D textured line.

On the Clearwater vs. Access reels, The Clearwater is a large arbor while the Access is a mid arbor. Ask your sales guy the difference. The Access reel is a better reel, though I suspect you'll be just fine for years to come with the Clearwater. Besides, Orivs has a great warranty and customer service. If anything were to go wrong, they'd take care of you. Buy a reel to match your rod. I'm not a fan of buying an oversized reel to match 6 different size rods. The Clearwater II reel will work on a size 4,5 & 6 wt rods. It is the proper size for your rod.

If you just have to buy a different reel, consider a Ross or Lamson large arbor reel and a fly line other than an Orvis line - perhaps a Scientific Angler Mastery Trout or textured Trout Stalker line.

Enjoy the new rod! It's a great setup for the money and a great first rod to own!!