Thread: Saltwater reel
View Single Post

Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM

von behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saltwater reel

I'm a big fan of buying quality and buying it once. Spend the money on something that will handle the job consistently without fail. I have a couple of Abels I use in the salt, one of which is my go-to surf fishing reel.

It has been used consistently year-round for five years in salt and sand and sometimes punishing surf conditions. I don't baby it, but I don't go out of my way to abuse it either.

I dunk it in a small bucket of water when I get home, take it apart, rinse the parts (5simple parts including spool and frame) and dry them as I put them together. Every fourth or fifth trip, I lube it and put some neet's foot oil on the cork drag.

It still looks as good as the day I bought it. Long after I'm gone, it will still work for my kids, and for their kids. I have other reels from other brands that are nice as well. But the Abels are built for the salt and built to last.

There have been a couple of times I returned home from the salt and got sidetracked without cleaning a reel for a few days. Still no sign of corrosion at all. They are worth every penny.