View Single Post

Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM

von behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant futurevon behr has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are there some fly fihing spots near highway No. 1?

Thorsten,

Since the ocean will be directly on your left for most of the drive, surf fishing would be a great way to enjoy the beach and fly fishing at the same time.

A good friend turned me onto fly fishing the surf about five years ago, and I absolutely love it. While there will occasionally be rivers and lakes near where you are travelling, the coast will be right there next to you the entire time. It is a free and endless resource.

A great book on the subject is Ken Hanley's "Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone"
Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books
Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books
Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books

It is a quick read and has all the information you need to get started. It has specific information for fly fishing the Pacific Coast through California, Oregon, and Washington.

I would recommend an 8-wt. rod with a 300-grain sinking line, a stripping basket, and flies that imitate sand crabs or other small crustaceans, or small baitfish patterns. A short leader of 4-6 feet of 10-lb. mono or fluorocarbon will do the trick.

Cheers,

-VB