View Single Post

Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Carp - Never tried it, pointers?

I played around with them when I was in Indiana. They really were like bonefish. They congregated in a shallow flats section of a local lake. I wade fished for them. I never got serious about it as I was more interested in the Smallies, but if you could put something like a stonefly nymph in front of them you had a chance. They were spooky and line shy. You had to be stealthy. It was a lot like wading for bones in the Keys. You needed to drop a nymph in front of them, then just slowly jerk it on the bottom. They were fun once you hooked one, they're a strong fish. Nothing spectacular, but a good fight. Not to sound sacrilegious here or anything, but if you just want catch one to see if its worth the trouble? Here's what you do (and this is guaranteed).
Step one: Buy some canned corn and chum the water for say two days before you fish.
Step two: Order some Gulp corn (put them on a number 8 hook)
Step three: Cast a bit of Gulp corn into the chum line and hold on.
Not exactly high society, but it works. Or just go with a nymph.
Good luck and have fun.