View Single Post

Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tippet Yes or No Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44runner View Post
On a brand new leader I tie my first few flies right to the tapered leader. From there I start to tie on lengths of desired weight tippet to get to a bit more length than the leader had to begin with. When I get to a ratio of 50/50 or so I start running bigger tippet to smaller tippet. Not long after that I am changing leaders.

I always kept a few spools of tippet of various sizes and a few spare tapered leaders in my sling pack. Also make sure you have a line straightener so you don't have curls and you can get your line to lay out right.
Pretty much what I would do. I'd get 9' leaders and pretty much use the first 2' for tying flies on direct then tie a small loop to loop on tippet material.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishbob View Post
I will be getting my first rod and reel this week. In looking at web sites for setting up my line I found one that shows using a tippet between the fly line and the leader, and one that shows attaching a tapered leader directly to the fly line.
I am now confused. Does a tapered leader replace the tippet and a non tapered leader?
I need to understand this a little better before I go to the fishing store to buy this stuff.
Thanks in advance for your help

Bob
LL Bean rigs their combos that way. I ordered one and they had about 8" of 30lb test nail knotted to the flyline with a loop for the leader. I wasn't intending on using the line anyway but didnt like that rig either way.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...