View Single Post

Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 AM

fishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud offishiowa has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tippet Yes or No Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishbob View Post
In looking at web sites for setting up my line I found one that shows using a tippet between the fly line and the leader, and one that shows attaching a tapered leader directly to the fly line.
Good advice so far on stepping down leader/tippet from appx. the stiffness of the fly line to however thin you want the tippet to be where you tie the fly on.

I was puzzled by your reference to a website with tippet before the heavier leader. One wild guess on the difference in websites you were looking at. Sometimes, when going for "toothy" species a piece of thinner tippet at the actual breaking strength you want will be closer to the fly line and a very heavy tippet (shock tippet) is attached at the end just before the fly to prevent the fish's teeth from cutting it. Like I said just a WAG because you would still taper the leader to the breaking strength tippet before putting on the shock tippet.