View Single Post

Old 09-12-2013, 03:59 AM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of
Default Re: "What do I have to do to catch a fish on a feather fly?"

Oh for heavens sake! Use what works! I use anything for panfish. An ultralight spinning rod with hand tied 1/16th ounce jigs (wooly buggers with a lead head jig). Clousers and my wooly clousers, which is a clouser with a marabou tail, flashabou as a wing and a hackle collar with lead eyes, tied in either green and white or brown, and mini gulps on a small hook I fling with my six weight. Sometimes, I drag the flies and jigs in the Gulp juice if its handy. Do I care? Not even a little bit. Do the fish? No. Do I care about anyone's opinion but theirs? Hell no!
I mean my lovingly tied flies and jigs look like something a spastic five year old came up with in art class, and that's on a good day, but they catch fish, and that's all I care about.
Folks, the game is about convincing a fish to bite an artificial bait. Yeah, its nice if you tied it yourself, but forget that.
Me, I'm just a redneck fly fisherman, who is not above putting a bit of shrimp on a clouser when the sea trout are close mouthed. To me the tug is the drug and while in a perfect world I'd like to catch all my fish on flies and jigs I tied myself using organically raised animal parts harvested by unionized Guatemalan virgins.......At the end of the day I just want to catch a damned fish on a fly rod or ultra light and I'll do what I have to to make that happen. So consider me an infidel, most folks do. But I say go out, use whatever makes you happy and catch some fish. I mean pan fish are supposed to be about having fun and filling a frying pan. no need to get serious about them.

Last edited by fq13; 09-12-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes