View Single Post

Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 9 ft max for bones?

If you're on the flats its fine. If you're using it in a creek for snook and reds a ten foot might be a bit much. That said I just bought a nine and a half foot Orvis eight weight and love it. And I'm considerting an eleven foot switch for areas where my back cast is restricted, but I wouldn't consider an over head cast with that rig if there was a mangrove within a hundred yards.
Bonefish are a very occasional thing for me, I live about a hundred miles too far north for them, but I throw a lot of the same flies on the flats for reds. I will say this. You're going to be throwing small but heavy flies. In the creeks I use a fast six weight. Out on the flats I used a ten weight which was overkill. Its why I bought the eight. But a six was too light for turning a fly over in the wind. I'd think about an eight rather than a seven. But just call some keys fly shops, World Wide Sports man Islamorada is a place to start. Like wise some of the guides. They can probaly give you the info you need. I will say that a lot of the guides use Redingtons, good enough and won't break the bank. You can do better, but I'd look at them.