View Single Post

Old 10-29-2013, 03:12 PM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of
Default 3 wt for blue gill

I have recently rediscovered the joys of ultra light spinning rods for warm water in canals where its too overgrown /to cast a fly. Seriously small stuff, five foot rods geared to throw 1/32 oz. lures with four pound test line. It makes even a small fish a good time.

I am thinking of taking the same approach with fly rods. I have two ponds full of bluegills not a hundred yards from my house. I was thinking of a three weight. Now I have a perfectly good four weight. Its by the late lamented JK Fisher company. But that thing is a damn zippy rod. I rountinely throw #6 heavy clousers with it and catch three pound plus bass. Heck I even took a six pound striper with the thing in the Grand Canyon. There are not words to describe how much I love that rod. But frankly, its a eight weight trapped in a small body.

What I want is something that will let a bluegill show off, but not be so noodly that I can'throw small streamers and poppers. I also want to do this cheap. I'm not dropping three bills on a bluegill rod. I was thinking of the Redington CTs. Anybody have suggestions
Thanks