View Single Post

Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newby to forum, looking for brackish water set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgatorgirl View Post
Hi, I am returning to Fly Fishing after tooo many years, and am looking for a nice 6wt set up that can handle fresh and brackish water on the East Coast of FL. I am eyeing the Allen Compass rod with an Allen Trout II reel. Any thoughts concerns for that set up in brackish waters? I will be fishing mostly bass and whatever swims my way!
Thanks in advance!
For years I fished a Sage fast 6wt RPL and used a Loomis 10 GL 3 for when I was chunking heavy flies in the wind or chasing medium Tarpon. I recently bought an 8wt and love it. Are you mostly after seatrout/snook/bass or are you looking to chase tarpon or hit the surf? That will determine a lot of it. I like the light weight stuff, but a six for the mangroves will be pricy. Still, its my preffered rod. A ten is always enough rod unless you're looking at bonita or over forty pound tarpon. An eight weight is a good compromise, but for small jacks, mangroves and snapper and bass its a bit much. Still, I think its the best overall choice for a one rod solution. It will throw large flies, muscle a snook out of the groves, fight reasonable wind and still make three pound fish fun. Though not as much fun as a fast six, but that six limits your fly selection too. Forget size 2 deep clousers and seaducers. The eight will throw both. I gue▀s the question is, what's your budget, and what do you intend to do the most of?

PS welcome.

Last edited by fq13; 11-19-2013 at 12:16 PM.