View Single Post

Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM

jloncar will become famous soon enoughjloncar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Quick Trip Denver - help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Time is obviously of the essence for the OP, and driving around the highways of the Front Range on Friday afternoon? Forget the Blue - could take you two or three hours to get there due to construction on the Idaho Spgs tunnels as well as just general traffic on I-70.......then it's a fight tooth-n-nail to get a casting position among all of the D-bags that flock to the outlet mall after a week's worth of workin'.

The BT is definitely out. The OP is coming from the southern metro area and traffic on I-25/Bouder Turnpike and construction on US-36 (the two ways to the BT from Denver) are two potential nightmares that could leave the OP with only an hour to fish.

US-285 to the South Platte from Littleton is doable. But again, the exodus-from-the-city-Friday traffic and a somewhat lengthy drive just gives this fly fisher potentially only a few hours to fish to extremely wary trout.

If I was the OP and knew what I know about the time constraints and the traffic, I'm definitely headed to Clear Creek. C-470 to US-6 past Golden and up the canyon will put the OP on the water in 30-35 minutes (and that's an honest time considering the traffic). Head anywhere from two to ten miles above the 93/58/6 junction, and you got pullouts galore. The fish won't break any scales, but you'll have entire sections of the river to yourself and the canyon scenery is quite dramatic (altho you'll have to listen to the traffic on US-6). You could honestly be geared up and ready to cast by 4pm. That gives you four hours of fishing (til last light).

Some great points here. The traffic in the metro area is nightmarish especially on a Friday night. I think clear creek is a good bet and probably the easiest to get to.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post