Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Willow Creek April 29, 2010

Blog Entries

Default Willow Creek April 29, 2010

I fished in Willow creek today. The water is not too high but visibility is poor. I saw no evidence of spawning in or around any of the gravel and I saw no trout. With that taken into account I fished a 1.5 Sol Duc for the first 2 3 hours covering deep swift water just off the gravel bars in hopes of finding some fish lurking near the bedding gravel. Considering the number of times I hooked the bottom I am satisfied that depth was not the problem. At noon I went down to the section of river below the Parks bridge and worked the tails of each run and the riffs between the tails and the next run down using a Black & Claret fly tied on a #2 salmon hook. Again contact with the bottom was good but the effort failed to raise any fish.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I am not a person to continually change flies during a days fishing so these were the only two patterns I fished. If I am able to spot fish and see that they are noticeably disinterested in the fly being offered I do change a color after one or two good presentations. Today this was not a matter that I needed to contend with. It was none the less good to get out and swing some flies and there was no way to know whether the cast that was currently in the water would yield a strike so the day was not a loss. After almost 5 hours with no indication of the presence of fish I withdrew and came home. I chose the big bright Sol Duc based on the fact that the last time I fished Willow for King salmon I witnessed a young fellow catch a trout of about 15 on a huge Pixy Spoon with either chartreuse green or yellow on it I forget which. With that in mind I figured the fish to be less than careful in their feeding habits. Today I figured wrong.
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you are reading this and live in this area let me know if you are doing any good in any of the open waters of the MatSu Valley.

Ard

Blog Entries

Default Re: Willow Creek April 29, 2010

Ard: Very nice fishing report and some great looking photos! Makes me dream of fishing in Alaska! Thanks!

Larry

Blog Entries

Ard

Nice report!! Thanks for the pics. Glad you finally got to wet a line!! Can't wait for some pics of more successful outings.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Blog Entries

Hey Guys,

I did have a good time but not as good as the dog did! He swam, waded, and ran up and down the shore like the wind. He really likes to go. Sooner or later I'll find them and when I do............................

Ard

Blog Entries

That's a beautiful creek Ard...pity you couldn't catch any fish even with a "fishing dog".Last week got a call from the Fischmeister and asked him if he planned fishing this week...he told me he had been invited to fish on thursday but he wouldn't go,he was sure it would be bad because of the moonHave you noticed any influence of the moon on your fishing?maybe we could start a thread about it...

Nice report Ard. Fun to see and hear how others do it.
    You have the luckiest dog in the world. You too. It warms my heart to see my dogs run in the open.