Do You Have a Favorite AK. Fly Pattern?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I see that many people are viewing the AK. General discussion threads and I have a question for you. If you have lived in or visited Alaska do you have a favorite fly pattern that you used or use when fishing AK. If so please post your choices here to this thread so that I might include them in the Flies for Alaska threads.

If you know the tying recipe that would be nice and if you would like to tie , photo, and post them yourself I would appreciate it. If not, I will tie any patterns submitted or requested and post them.

Thank you

Ard

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Here you go Ard, but I have to include my disclaimer....I really don't know what I am doing and my favorite fly is a streamer, not because I think it is the most productive, but because it's my favorite way to fish.:D

Number 8 hook, with 10 wraps of lead, covered that pearl colored shiney stuff, with a couple long strands so it sparkles. Black rabbit on the top, white on the bellow with some red near the eyes. I initially started with cones but evolved to yellow eyes. I put the eyes on the underside, thinking that would keep the hook down.

Used it on my first trip to Alaska and it was my go to fly on our last trip. Caught fish from Peters Creek, to Quartz Creek, to the Russian.

mrfzx

Reaction score
My two favorites are a bit simpler than some of your works of art. The first has produced many Silvers for me.

Gold and Pink Flash Fly

The second is for Dollies and Rainbows. Its also one of my goto bugger patterns in NY for the lake run Browns.

Red and Black Bugger

Jimmie

Reaction score
Those flies look great. The eyes on yours 2Paws look as real as any that I've seen.
It's official. I'm losing it LOL. I saw your title Ard, and googled AK Best. Spent 30 min. looking for his patterns. Can't be done. Just found books.