The Wait is Over, Salmon Time in Alaska!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Even I sometimes wonder, why live in a place where the weather can be sooo bad. The long dark winters, the rain, the cold springs, all for what? For what! When it finally breaks and I find some fish I do what I dreamed of as a little boy. I catch salmon and sometimes a bunch of salmon. Once again it's time to go chase fish! :wavetowel

I spent the balance of today getting the boat ready for a camping trip on a river. There's still a whole lot to do before 5:00 AM tomorrow but I had to make a post about going. Time will tell whether or not I find any but I know where to look and that is the important part. :icon_wink

Oil change, new fuel filter, plugs, and a new battery put things in order. I still have to organize the boat box which is filled with the emergency gear and make a run to town for some supplies. Nancy is going along so there will be two rods working when we locate fish. Two weeks ago I did a float and now we're ready to go under power, it should be fun. :D

If you have lived here or visited you know what these are. I cleaned it all up and had to paste a few pictures.

[/IMG]

If you ever read a post by me or anyone and it mentions 'Tunnel Hulls' this is what they are. Our boat is a shallow tunnel, (the old boat had a 4" one) and when you have the motor trimmed just right these boats will scoot over just 2 - 3" of water. Prop's are faster and more economical fuel wise but these are the ticket for the rivers I fish & travel.

[/IMG]

This is the inside of the little boat. It is 18.5 long and I forget the beam width. The rubber mats are great and quiet too.

[/IMG]

I had to have this, they should have given it to me but I gave 3.50 just to stick that on my console.

[/IMG]

If you are ever going to be in my neighborhood and just don't know where to get fishing you should drop me a line. I have this thing on the rivers here about 1500 miles each season, in that many miles I find a few out of the way spots.

darwin

Reaction score
Hey Ard,
Nice boat and well outfitted to run the rivers :clap: The decal is a nice touch, really like the rubber mats. Job well done. :wavetowel
I spent the better part of one summer on the SE coast of Alaska, I really enjoyed it. Have fun and be safe. Oh yea, bring back lots of pics.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys :)

I am charging the extra batteries for the camera now but sometimes having a camera isn't the answer. The fish are kings and they are becoming few and far between so it will take all of the knowhow I have gathered to find the right spot. It's not just about fishing, it's about knowing where to find them and so I'll see how it goes.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Guys :)

I am charging the extra batteries for the camera now but sometimes having a camera isn't the answer. The fish are kings and they are becoming few and far between so it will take all of the knowhow I have gathered to find the right spot. It's not just about fishing, it's about knowing where to find them and so I'll see how it goes.
Ard: I couldn't agree more, but you have put the time in on your local streams so if the fish have moved in, I'm confident you will find them!

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I am hoping I can Larry, I don't want to sound brash, but generally if I can find them I can catch some :D They are definitely in the rivers now but it's early and the numbers aren't great. I just can't keep waiting, someone has to hit the head of the run :icon_wink If you wait until everybody's talking you've waited too long.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Great looking set up Ard, we wish You, Nancy, and Boss the best of luck, be safe.
I'm thinking we'll be in "your hood" around the end of July, beginning of August 2012.:)
Stinks that it didn't work out for this summer, but the yard is progressing nicely.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Ard,

I'm envious I wish I could do what you do and live as you have made possible for you and your significant other. Hopefully, one day.

I hope this a great adventure and you come back with a some great fish tales and pictures.

I'd like to know more about that boat as I've been researching something that I could use on places like the Lower Sacramento and Lower Yuba rivers that takes an outboard. I am just not confident that with asthma I should try a drift boat though after drifting the Lower Sac for 2 days a drift boat is ideal, but I think I need to come up with some kind of a compromise. Looking at your boat I think that design would be make a decent all around fishing craft that I could use on larger lakes and perhaps even in the CA. Delta as well.

nerka

Reaction score
Good Luck Ard,
I took some time off work and will be heading south this weekend. Seward and the lower Kenai and Kasilof are on the agenda. I did hit the flood tide this afternoon at Ship and it was slow...not many people but didnt see a single hookup. The rumor was that someone landed a little king out of there yesterday on the AM tide. I have head Deshka kings are trickling in. I am thinking I will be heading out that way next weekend.

Nice set up, gotta have the jet unit up here for sure.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,

A little tunnel like this will work just about anywhere. On a big lake the waves on a windy day can make things tough. Between the flat bottom pounding on each wave and the jet intake sucking air it can make for slow going. On a river, it's the stuff.

Fysh,

It would have been cool if you two could have came this year but next year will do. I'll be around..........

Nerka,

I was in town snooping around Ship the past two days. There are no fish below the old dam and none hanging up at Reeve Blvd. That's a bad sign if you're going to fish from the cable down. I would appreciate if you hear of fish being in down there if you would give me a heads up. It would be a good place to run into one another. I like Ship, especially when there are fish riding the tide in.

Ard

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great boat "Captain Ard"...the little sticker clearly shows the owner's tastes ...he likes Hardy reels,doesn't he?:pArd don't forget to put a little cushion on the seat when I come:D:D:DI'm getting old as you know:eek: and like comfort:D

Pocono

Reaction score
That's a nice clean looking boat! I'd say that you're fully prepped for the season.

Good luck finding the fish! Do I hear the sound of a Skykomish Sunrise being tied on ................? :)

Pocono

PS - I'll be doing some landlocked Salmon fishing this season and I'm starting to pick up stories of Atlantic Salmon in the mouths of some of the local Rivers in the Fall; we'll see..........