Chasing Trout and Finding Treasure;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
On Tuesday I went fishing and was greeted by a cold lingering fog that inhabited the upper valley even though the sky was clear at home and as I drove past many possible destinations. I had a specific place in mind and so drove on even as the thermometer on the rear view mirror showed me that Boss and I were headed into 29* and threatening weather. By the time I had fished for a few hours the sky's had lifted and the day had to be around 34 so it was pleasant. Late afternoon found us down on the big river and when I took my first glance up stream I was greeted with this view.

[/IMG]

I took one look at that and said, "hello mountains" that is McKinley on the right and Foraker over to the left. They are about 170 miles from where you are seeing them from and not always visible so being treated to a view like this makes for a good day. On the way home sunset started to turn into something of its own right and although I am not a sunset photo taker on a regular basis I had to stop to shoot this.

[/IMG]

We lose a certain lever of clarity when the images are transfered here from host sights like PB, but I think you can get the idea of what that looked like. I got a few fish, saw some eagles, the mountains were out and the sunset was something else. :)

smalliesrule

Reaction score
Sounds like a phenomenal day! I miss the sunsets In Florida. Up here in the mountains they are reare. Once the sun drops behind the mountain it's done.
Thanks for sharing

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
But you have those trout..............I'm not sure where Damascus is at, never been there but there are plenty of trout streams in VA and it's not quite as cold there. I'm going to go looking for a few in a little while.

Ard

littledavid123

Reaction score
Hard to imagine those mountains are 170 miles away...Just awesome. Thanks for sharing these pics with us Ard. I don't know who enjoys them more, you while taking or me while viewing.

Dave

L

Liphookedau

As Ard has mentioned very beautiful scenery as well as a top fishing spot,a place I'd recomend to visit,also a similiar view to one downstream from Mc Dougal Lodge,as you said most times especially mornings it's hard to see Mt McKinley,the float plane which flew us in had to wait 2 hours before he could take off.
I didn't think it was so distant as it really looks huge from the air.
Brian.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Tell me about it, and I might add that it is not getting warmer with each trip either. Nowadays it's light at 8:20 AM and getting time to head back to where you parked the truck by 6:00. That is unless you haven't wandered more than a mile or if there is a good trail to walk, in that case you can still fish till 7:00 PM. Many of the rivers I'm on right now require a hike and the trail is not happening. You pick your way through the bush or if you wish to follow the rivers course you must then wade back and forth as you come to deep cut banks. Either way the trip back to the vehicle is an adventure. Then there's that cold water, I need to take my old stream thermometer and check these things. They are cold and I don't mean maybe.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Ard, those are some beautiful images, I'd give a pretty penny to be following in yours and Boss's boot- and pawprints. 170 miles of visibility is incredible, and makes for a great view! Loss of clarity or not, I'm stunned and jealous.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The scenery sometimes is all you get although that day I managed a few trout to go along with the view. By the way AJ, I'm just about to buy a Sigma 10 - 20 mm wide angle zoom, hope I like it.................................