Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Jason,

I have done exactly what you describe but have done so using a motorcycle, it's even more affordable that way. The reason I don't fish the rivers of bristol bay is that I would have to barge my river boat out there and once you start that operation the cost skyrockets. Being anywhere here without a boat is a severe handicap and I count myself among the fortunate by having one.

I would like it if someday some of the people I chat with here could come up, that's what i was getting at with this thread.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I will be up there someday, just as soon as you are too old to do anything about all the rotten remarks I have posted about you.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

So aside from the already stated obvious limitations, general logistics is holding me up. We have a 3 year old, so that is an extra challenge (and cost). Before I met my wife she spent a couple different summers in Alaska, working. She has very fond memories and for a woman from Montana, Alaska is last vestige of a place with more, bigger, wilder country. So there is really no way that I would ever be able to swing a solo jaunt up there to fish. No way.

I have a friend from Anchorage, he has a house and family and has welcomed us there. Someday, we'll get up there before our daughter gets too much older. I'd like to think in the next 3-4 years we could make it happen.

When it does Ard, you'll definitely know before I go.

Sooner or later, we'll be up there mooching off you Ard.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post

We are all waiting til you finish the sushi classes...

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    +1

I would like to say that is in the works, but it's just not. It IS on the bucket list at least, but hopefully it is not just a one time deal. I'm sure I could get used to an AK trip every few years if circumstances allow. I'm also with Dean...2 year old and zero year old on the way in June, so don't keep your 2012 calendar clear for me...or 2013, 2014, after that who knows; if you want to hear God laugh...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    I will be up there someday, just as soon as you are too old to do anything about all the rotten remarks I have posted about you.

Dave
    I'll only get meaner as I get older Dave so you might as well come take your medicine.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes mcnerney, littledavid123, Guest1, busbus liked this post

WANTED MAN IN ALASKA

It's my dream to fish up in Alaska and move up there, unfortunately it's money and having 2 ex wives keeps me from saving up.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
    It's my dream to fish up in Alaska and move up there, unfortunately it's money and having 2 ex wives keeps me from saving up.
    OK this is the best reason I heard so far....LOL

Thanks for the laugh!
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast