Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Money and time...two very bad excuses. Yet they are my excuses, too. Between pay cuts, a son in college and one in culinary school, there is scarcely a dollar extra any more.

Someday...

I just saw your reply and stand by my original statement...Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    I just saw your reply and stand by my original statement...Dave
    Dave: It will only hurt for a little while!
    Larry

Blog Entries

Just got another invite to head up to AK to fish for steelhead with a buddy... I really need to hit the lotto
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Very generous Arp. You are right on the ability to get around to the fishin holes up there. I was up there from 74 to 90 all over that state. I came up when Northern Lights Blvd was gravel. Fun place is not a good explanation. Awesome comes to mind for you that have never been there. I've seen every season for many yrs there and still i stand in awe at the magnificent scenery. One either needs a boat, track vehicle or a plane either on floats, skis, or tundra tires. For now i'm watching an investment very close and remote areas of the wilderness wouldn't allow me to take care of business just now. It should be over this year and then you'll see me. I'll take ya to my Char hole. I know you and i have fished some of the same waters.
    Eddy

I have been to Alaska a couple times, once back in 98' for a few months and then in 2010 for 10 days. I have spent most of my time on the peninsula and I love it there. Amazing wildlife, beautiful country and the fishing has always treated me well also.
    From what I know you could spend several life times there and still be entertained.

The thing that keeps me from going back to AK and exploring more just comes with age and responsibility, along with interest in other adventures.
    When I went to AK for three months back in 98' I was under 20 with hardly a worry in the world. Three months these days would be a pipe dream, ten days in 2010 was just a lucky situation I am fortunate to be in, but yet far from the norm.

While I would suggest Alaska to everyone to visit their at least once, I personally have been eying endless amounts of other places out there that share in similar but different beauties. With time along with expenses being limited I need to be selective to knock off my 'Bucket List" so to speak.

Now if I were a Gates, Trump or Buffett kid I'm sure things would be different I would likely be up there on a regular basis hanging in one of two small but comfortable lodges with my name on it along with venturing off to Patagonia, Cuba, Costa Rica, Russia, Mexico,45 other US states or so and Montenegro etc etc. Then the detailed areas of course at those same locations, so I would have to go back again and again, but for now I just have to appreciate my surrounding waters being the West is the best and all anyway.

I would ask a similar question to what keeps people from going to Utah to fish, but we already know it is the @#$*% (aka crappy) laws we have here in the state and there are far better places to find your backing, but the fishing doesn't treat me to bad and the beauty here is second to none. IMO

Alaska has not seen the end of me yet I can tell you that... ahh I love that place.

Peace!
    Watson

7. Likes mcnerney, madjoni liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I can tell Ard is serious about everything he's said here. See? This is his serious face.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    I can tell Ard is serious about everything he's said here. See? This is his serious face.
    yeah, he's probably busy contemplating where he's gonna go catch that world record grayling
    maybe i'll go join him

casey

ARFE

10. Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Absolutely nothing!

Just booked 2 tickets!

Can we get a ride from the airport?

Blog Entries

I'll be sending my best man to pick you guys up

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast