Making The Best of The Time That's Left....

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You may have noticed that I've not been posting. With the coming of Autumn close at hand I've been at the cabin getting ready for the winter projects. If you're new to my posts about this place, it is located 78 miles off the road system on a lake. Access is by river boat, air craft, or snowmachine and so any project is the source for preparation and pride when you actually get something done.

I took with a new Stihl saw, this is a big boy with a 25" bar and skip chains with chisel teeth :D This winter I will be dropping somewhere around 40 big trees in order to open up our southern exposure and a big saw was in the recipe. The stump shown is that of a tree that has been in my way for years when I make the winter trail and the tree was already dead. For reference, Boss weighs about 87 pounds at this time and he is a tall dog.

On the way out I stopped to see a friend about 37 miles up the river who operates a small saw mill. He had made me a set of 2" X 12" by 8 foot long beams to use for new porch stair stringers. These were substantial slabs of wood and being spruce they will last for a couple decades. On day 2 I tore out the old steps which were more than unsafe and built new.

With the steps done I turned attention to getting winter wood stowed on the front porch and covered. Nothing beats easy access to dry wood when the temps drop way down there.

There is another load of wood stored under the cabin where it remains very dry and accessible. I did some pike fishing and saw a few salmon but this was a work B for sure. After dodging logs in the creek on the way out I hit the Upper Yetna and headed down toward the Skwentna junction. Every time I leave I always look back as soon as I get on step at the big river.

There were many trees in the river because of some hard rains in the mountains and while taking a break from the wind & current the spruce shown out there went by. I guess it to be about a 40 - 50 foot tree complete with the root system. In the upper river these can submerge in deep undertows and surface right in front of you so one muse remain focused on the water at all times unless parked at shore as I was here.

A few years back something came up and hit the bottom of my boat while I was headed up the main channel about 20 miles from the cabin. I never saw it but it raised the boat and scared the daylights out of Boss and myself both. I figure it was a waterlogged Cottonwood tree that went back down after waking us up......

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm really wishing we could have made the trip up there!:)
We'll do it next time for sure and catch the mail plane from Anchorage into Skwentna and have you pick us up.

Looks like things went well for you out there and some of the chores are winding down. Great looking place.

Seeing that pic of Boss really makes me miss that 'Big Lug'!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I could use someone to do the fishing out there ;)

There are fish there but I don't spend much time after them. it seems that I'll never get the place finished especially if I fish when I should be busy. In the spring I will build another set of stairs on the other end of the front porch and replace the rear entry stair as well. over the winter I hope to finally finish the ceilings and the end gable walls on the second floor. Those 2 things would be a great accomplishment. Talk is easy but when the days are short and you must run a generator to power the work lights everything becomes a huge task. Add to this the deep snow and extreme temperatures work goes slowly.

Hey Fysh,

The pike flies that Diver Dan sent work real well but time is short right now and I'll write about what happened on the blog pages soon. That is: I'll write about fishing with you and Pam as well as the story about the pike fishing.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Here are 2 more images taken near the confluance of the Upper Yetna and the Skwentna rivers. One looks back up the Yetna and the other toward the Skwentna.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I figured those flies would work well, look forward to seeing the blog update.
We need to exchange some pics soon.:)

You weren't kidding when you said The Yetna was even bigger than the Susitna. WOW!

caseywise

Reaction score
what a place ard!:D
beautiful as i could imagine, but i'm sure a herculean task to maintain and improve.
btw, that stump that boss is next too, is as you said, from a massive tree. sounds like your new stihl will be getting a good workout.:D:D

casey

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
They sell that in 12 pack boxes that stack perfectly into the cargo hold of the boat Bill :D Although the cabin looks cool it is rustic to the nines. Sometimes beer makes an easy lunch because of the lack of a kitchen........

I'll be adding more pictures to this thread as I get the winter wood skid up here at home. I spent the first day home mowing the lawn and skidding logs. I'm handy with a Bull Dozer and other equipment and had no rest until I put a large lawn on this property. Now I must maintain it :(

The wood is all down but I have not logged all of them and skidded them up from the forrest yet...............more work :(

I am going river scouting tomorrow :)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
They sell that in 12 pack boxes that stack perfectly into the cargo hold of the boat Bill :D Although the cabin looks cool it is rustic to the nines. Sometimes beer makes an easy lunch because of the lack of a kitchen........

I'll be adding more pictures to this thread as I get the winter wood skid up here at home. I spent the first day home mowing the lawn and skidding logs. I'm handy with a Bull Dozer and other equipment and had no rest until I put a large lawn on this property. Now I must maintain it :(

The wood is all down but I have not logged all of them and skidded them up from the forrest yet...............more work :(

I am going river scouting tomorrow :)
Ard: With all the work you're doing, you are due for some time off and getting out on the water!
I've said it before, but it is worth saying again, that cabin off yours sure looks like you have put a ton of work into it and it really shows, very nice indeed!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Larry,

I'm still at home chasing down some e-mail forms that I need to complete. I am going to scout a place today to see if I can access by river boat as the waters drop this fall. As you know, when the nights get cold up in the mountains the water levels drop quickly. This is both good & bad in that rivers currently sullied by glacial runoff clear up but at the same time some become unnavigable. I am not opposed to walking but some of these places are real bush hikes where a machete is the only way through the tangles. The last thing I want to do is to make a 2 mile hike and then have a jet boat come through before I make the first cast ;)

Work at the cabin is going to resume this winter in ernest. The salmon runs here in the lower valley have suffered and the cabin is so far out that fishing pressure is less in the area. I am close to having the inside finished but now the outside chinking needs to be redone......... And the skirting will go up next spring. It will keep me busy until I can no longer climb a ladder :D

JP,

If you come you may as well plan on staying a couple months so we can really have some fun. It's not all work out there, every now & then I take the boat and go fishing. You can also water ski like Nancy does on the lake :)

That was about a week ago ;) You gotta love the rope and handle we used. I had 3 different pieces of rope and a piece of fire wood served as the handle. The skis were up on the loft and are about 30 years old.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JP,

If you come you may as well plan on staying a couple months so we can really have some fun. It's not all work out there, every now & then I take the boat and go fishing. You can also water ski like Nancy does on the lake
A couple month....sure I would love to if I could:):secret:when I was eighteen or so I had a girlfriend and we loved going in the woods...once she told me I should become a forest warden:D
As for your water skiing proposition:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:it's a bit suspect ....do you want to use me as a live bait???:D:D:D:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
+1!!

Wet suit and all ... and I can just guess what the water temperature might have been.:eek:

fae
Hi Fred,

The water out there is never warm once you get a couple feet deep. The wet suit is old also but it still fit so........... Had the suit not fit, I'm not so sure she would have insisted on skiing :cool: I thought about it but when I took her back to shore I dove in for a bath and knew in a fraction of a second I wasn't going to enjoy prolonged exposure :D

Larry,

I custom made the handle with a STIHL ;)