Getting Ready To Go Again;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally the weather has turned a bit. Today it's a comfortable 7* here at the house at 12:03 PM. We had an overnight of -7 and I'm off to do some lumber shopping. I will be on and off the computer for the next few days while I get the trailer filled with building materials and then deliver it to the freighter. We are going to have our own custom freight sled made this fall but until then we are hiring the loads out. With the new Skandic Super Wide sitting in the driveway it seems ironic to have to hire someone to pull the load but that's the way it is for now.

A good sled has to be well thought out with a long enough ski base to span and thus minimize the bumps encountered on the long trip to the cabin. I'm not sure what one will cost but a couple thousand seems like the range to me. The sled will be sturdy enough to haul a ton whether it's 55 gallon drums full of fuel or a load of plywood and assorted lumber for interior finish on the building.

Once I've got everything squared away we're going to put Boss on a mail plane to Skwentna and then I'll be gone until mid March or so.

popperfly

Reaction score
I sure miss taken long trips on the sled (snowmobile) :(. Just about every other weekend a group of use would take off from our cabin (Indian River) 27 miles south of Mackinaw city, and then get shuttled across the mighty Mack for $10 per sled and run through the U.P. for several days as far north as Houghton, Michigan then head back south.
Wish I was going on that run with you Ard, I bet it’s exciting and beautiful. Post some pictures when you return.

L

Liphookedau

Ard.
I hope you have a better Time than your previous one,also get stuck into it so you will be ready for The Opening.
With The Sled you shouldn't have any Flat Tyres however it'll be rougher & probably take Longer with The weight you are Hauling.
Brian.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey,

I opted to just pick up all the stuff for the wiring of the place, jeez that stuff can add up. Tomorrow I'll take the trailer and load up with 4X4, 2X4, and 20 sheets of sanded plywood, 6 rolls of R-13 insulation, and etc, etc. I don't know how much I'll have done by breakup this spring but next winter we will not be sitting in the dark unless we want to. By the time I show you pictures the place will look much different than any you may have seen already.

All these years we have used 2 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries (kept charged by generator) and we run them through a 12 volt to 110 inverter. it powers a lamp or charges phones but that's about it. With the new set up (being wired) we'll be able to have lights while the generator is running and at the same time keep the batteries charged so that when the generator is shut down you won't be left in the dark.

webrx

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good plan Ard, be safe, check in when you can, and fish a little if you get the chance.

d

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I got a one day reprieve on leaving Dave, I took too long getting the lumber delivered and didn't want to ride out & arrive in the dark. I won't be fishing because I don't have an ice auger or tip ups...........