So, Why Am I Not Fishing?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen all the "I'm Tired Of Winter" threads.

I've seen the "It's Really Warm Here" threads.

And I'll grant you that the weather has been pretty screwy for a lot of us. I knew it was coming but you gotta try to understand what it's like to have your river boat sitting out in the drive, your big pontoon Raft all rigged up and loaded on the trailer, and then be me. Not just be me, but be me here!

I walked out onto my deck this morning at 7:00 AM and took a look around. Then I said out loud "How is this #@!%&^* possible"! :doh:

It's still doing it! :icon_cry:

There is almost 4" of it on the railing around the deck and the ground and forest floor are covered. :eek:

It is all over the trees! All over my boat and rafts! :(

If you were to read this: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/blogs/hardyreels/111-my-life-river-river.html or just scroll through to find the pictures they were taken between May 10 and may 15 of 2011.

How can this possibly be the same place? How can this be the same life?

I'm trying to stay positive here but if you read the blog about the Great Flood of 2012 then you know it started raining last year on September 13th. That rain lasted until the weather turned so cold that it turned to snow and plunged to -30*. :(

That's where the season pretty much ended, September 13 with a flood like no one here had ever seen here before! :icon_cry:

Today is May 18, and it is snowing like mad with 4" on the deck and probably 8" already soaked into the ground which had thawed already................

So I'll let you know as soon as I catch a fish, I'll paste the picture of that fish in so many threads you'll want me banned for spamming. :D

It's been a really Long, Hard, Winter in South Central Alaska.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Picture worth a thousand words? Here's a few thousand..................

Looking up the drive lane toward the road

Not going to drive the motorcycle today

Probably won't be smoking fish today

Should uncover the Tundra and go to the store maybe?

Floating the river is out

Maybe the'll get the ice out at the river launch by tomorrow........

newby

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Ard. But good news! According to the weather forecasts, it's supposed to warm to the 50s and even flirt with 60 next week for you guys. I'm certain that will be a welcome relief and time to go fishing. Meanwhile here in AZ, its nice to have a 90 degree day today. We've had a few days of 100-102 degree heat already and it makes enjoying being outside difficult.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard: Wow, after seeing all that new snow I can understand how discouraged you are. When I lived in Fairbanks (16 years) I could always count on all the snow being gone by May 15. Hang in there, hopefully spring will finally arrive!

williamhj

Reaction score
Ouch! It pains me to be working around the house while buddies are out fishing, but snow on the ground. That's hard to take. My mood coach is currently chilling in the fridge.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My mood coach is currently chilling in the fridge.
I didn't wait for that, I like it warm

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Just was outside again, it's stopping and the sun is trying to break through. It just can't keep coming, it's daylight almost 20 hours right now things have to warm up.

There will be a huge Aurora display tonight. I'm going up north at midnight to try photos one last time until fall.

jimp

Reaction score
Was just raining when I got up at 6am this morning (no fishing :mad: as the possiblity of T-storms existed for the day), sent the wife off to work, and I waxed the truck and my car today. A productive day, but not what I really wanted to do.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Better double down on the Karma Jason, it never did quit. It's 5:12 PM now and the snow is coming down hard.

The good news is that I began thawing a 14 pound turkey on Thursday for Sunday Dinner. I just said to Nancy "look at the bright side honey, It'll be just like Thanksgiving all over again. The turkey, the snow, just perfect huh"

All we can do is laugh

dean_mt

Reaction score
Holy sheet Ard! That's tough...but then again it is still May. I've seen snow fall like that right here in Missoula in early June. I never take for granted that I'll not see snow in my yard till June hits.

Hang in there man!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hanging,

It quit, and the sky is clearing. You'll know tomorrow if we get an Aurora tonight. I'm charging my battery pack just in case, you don't wanna go and then find out you shouldda charged the batteries up........

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Why am I not? Sitting at my desk about 72 hours ago not feeling all that well. Not bad, just not 'well.' Then bolt for the bathroom.

Is there anything that hurts more than the 'dry heaves?' Still hurt like I've been gone over with a baseball bat. By someone who knew what to do .....

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
So you got it all the way down there Vance? It's about 26* here at 11:20 PM Saturday....

Hope you get feeling better Fred,

Ard

Pocono

Reaction score
Hey Ard, as you know things generally have a way of averaging out over time. If that works out for you this year (and I hope it does), then think of all the "I'm catching too many fish!" threads that you'll be posting in the not-to-distant future. ;)

And you know, it only takes a couple of good, sunny days on the water to make the Winter fade away. :)

Of course, I'm not going to tell you that it's 70 degrees here today; sunny, there are fish rising just off our float and I haven't seen snow since the last man-made that I skied on at the end of March......................... :D

Pocono