Need help with an August 2014 DIY trip.

means

Reaction score
We are looking at a two week fishing trip in late July early August of 2014, it will be mostly a DIY trip to fly fish for trout and salmon. We both have plenty of experience in the backcountry but have no clue as to where or how to plan an Alaskan adventure. The online searches are not giving us the first hand info we want, based off of the following what would you recommend?

We need to be able to drive to lots of fishing spots but at the same time we do not want to do the whole "combat" fishing thing. We will have no issue backpacking a few miles upstream spending the night and then back down the next day fishing along both ways if needed.

So far we have the following:

Fly in and pick up a rental car. We will fish multiple rivers and use two different guides for one day each; the first guide on day one or two and the second guide a week later. We originally planned on a hotel room every night of the stay but are now tossing up the idea of shipping our backpacking gear ahead of us and spending about every other night or every third night out in the woods.

Budget goal is $2,000.00 per person but it looks like $2,500.00 - $3,000.00 is more realistic.

The following prices have already been checked on and are accurate as of right now.

Round trip airfare to Anchorage will be $650.00 each. (Actual cost ended up being $461 each roundtrip)
Guide prices is $550 for two people one day. (Actual cost was $425.00 for a full day of two people)
Hotel is $95.00 a night. (actual cost was anywhere from $75 a night for one night in a hotel to a private cabin of $95 a night pre paid)
Out of state fishing license is $130.00 each if we get the King salmon stamp.
Rental car (ended up costing $980.00 for 12 days renting a large SUV)

That brings the total to $3,990.00 for both people if we stay in a hotel every night. This does not count food or rental car costs. If we plan on camping at least 5 days that will save around $475.00.

We really don't plan on keeping many fish, maybe a few smaller salmon for dinner but that's it so do we really need the King stamp? What would offer us the most solitude, the best chance to catch lots of big fish, great scenery, and the easiest/safest trip? So far we are thinking about flying into Anchorage, spending the night there and visiting Denali NP the next day. Then spending the next 12 days driving around hitting all of the water we can see and running down to the Kenai peninsula to fish.

---------------
Updated below with actual costs and any changes from our plans above. 11-29-13

Airfare: $461 each roundtrip.
Book it as early as you can and be flexible on the departure days. We are leaving out to go up on a Sunday morning and leaving late on a Friday night 12 days later to head back home. By doing this we shaved almost $100 dollars off of our ticket costs each.
---------------------------
12-5-13
Looks like the hotel prices are completely insane! The original prices were from when we searched online. We did not realize until now that pretty much everything that has even a remote connection to fishing tourism doubles during the season. Most of the rooms we are finding seem to be around $180 per night during the time frame of our stay. Our dirt bag solution we found is a mix of Hostels and private cabins! Seems that most of the places with Hostels have a "bunkroom" set up and also offer private cabins/shacks. The cost can run from around $30 per night for the bunkroom to around $70 for the cabin. We plan on car camping, slinging the hammocks "bear piñata?", and then taking advantage of the hostels every few days for shower and fluffy bed use.

The trip is also morphing away from 12 days of strictly hard fishing to a mixed trip. In order to keep the female company happy we are now going up to the monument at the arctic circle so that we can get pictures and actually claim to have been to the arctic, we will also spend half a day or so in Denali NP. The week I had set aside for the Kenai has now had some time split off for a hike on the Exit Glacier and a day set aside for the Harding ice field trail. Realizing that the daylight will be longer than we are use to was a blessing. Looks like we will be living on cases of Redbull and just enough sleep to keep the rods from falling out of our hands!
-------------------------
3-1-14
Updated some of the individual prices above to reflect the reserved prices that we have. So far our airfare, rental car, guide, arctic circle trip, private cabins, and hotels are booked and locked in for a total cost of $2,500.00 for two people 12 days. We are going to car camp and maybe even hammock camp for about half the trip. All that's left is food and any incidentals that we decide that we need or want.

I'm not sure how it happened but the total trip price is what I consider amazingly cheap.

The prices for airfare and hotels seem to be extremely volatile. We were seeing hotel prices swing $125 + or - from week to week for our trip time frame.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
King salmon is closed by August so that isn't an issue, otherwise it sounds like you have things pretty well squared away. if I were you I would rely on those guides for as much information and suggestions as you can get from them. I would offer that if they don't have what seems like a good number of suggestions, that I may be able to help. You may contact me if you feel you want or need more options. If you have not already booked guide services and want to do the camping thing I can do water taxi service for you and get you to some good spots for camps and fishing. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Ard

means

Reaction score
Ard:

Thank you for the reply. I sent an email to the info address you have on your website.

Shaun

means

Reaction score
Just a update on the progress of my DIY trip for any who may be interested.

It wasn't looking like the trip was going to happen due to various reasons here at home. Then we had the roundtrip airfare fall into our laps today for what I consider a screaming deal. I will update the thread as more and more info is collected and reservations are confirmed.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like a break Shaun, as you know from other messages I will help however I can both as a source for ideas and logistical support if I am free on your in state dates.

Ard

brod

Reaction score
Means,

Where in the "Wide, Wide, World of Sports" did you get airline tickets for $461.00" The cheapest I can find for next year is $671.00.

My son lives in AK. I live in MS and fish extensively on the White/Norfork river system in Arkansas.

I have been to AK the last seven years in a row. Plan on going back the end of August and Sepetember 2014 the Lord willing. Have done a couple of flyouts to Bristol Bay and two out of Fairbanks to a local Lake.

That said ninty percent of our fishing is off the road system. Some of our favorite fishing is for Grayling on the Gulkana River at Paxson.

We have a website AAATrout.com. Lots of pictures and information. It is a bit slanted towards our family.

Will keep up with this post.

God Bless!

BroD

means

Reaction score
I booked the tickets on the Delta website. I played with the dates some until the airfare would not drop any more. Leaving on late Sunday morning and coming back on a Friday evening 12 days later seemed to be the magic combination for affordable airfare.

ETA: Also we are not traveling through Seattle. We leave out from Northwest Arkansas and our layover is in Minneapolis St Paul, then straight to Anchorage. If we wanted to go through Seattle it made the cost go up and since the name of this trip is "dirt bag cheap" of course we took the cheaper option!

brod

Reaction score
Means,

Thanks. We fly Delta. I will try running some other departure/return dates.

You are leaving from AR? Do you get to fish the White much?

Going to try and be up on the Norfork next week. It may look more like Ak!

Doug

means

Reaction score
Yep we are leaving out of XNA. I have fished the Beaver tailwaters quite a bit but have never managed to hit any other trout water in the state.

rustydog32

Reaction score
if you like feel free to send me a pm I have some knowledge about very affordable cabin rentals for around 35 a night but they usually stay booked way in advance.

Monello

Reaction score
Rent an RV. It serves as your transportation and hotel room. You can dry camp for free. Go into a campground every other night. Fill your water tanks or dump as needed. Cook your own food to save on meal cost.

I've done this twice. First time we learned a lot. Then went back the next year and did it better. We had 50+ fish days each of us.

YMMV, & good luck

means

Reaction score
It has been a day or so and while I am still trying to decompress the entire trip and adjust back to the mundane life I wanted to leave at least some sort of review while it is all decently fresh in my mind.

First off is that the 12 days we spent in Alaska were absolutely amazing! I did not slaughter the fish like I had been dreaming of before we left but think that I did even better. With the help of my amazing girlfriend and the people whom we met on the trip I was somehow able to leave my normal life behind and relax. This takes on an even large importance when you realize that the company I have been with for the last 12 1/2 years told us two days before I left on vacation that they are shutting the plant down this year for good and all 500 of us are out of work as of Christmas.

We traveled around 1600 miles in the rental SUV hitting Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, the Artic circle (tour bus trip), the Little Susitina, Exit glacier, Seward, Russian River ferry, Soldotna, Homer and lots of places that we just passed through due to time constraints.

The day that really let things flow together for me and allowed me to have some experiences that I have never felt on the river was when we were out on the guided trip with Ard. First I need to say that I didn't catch jack squat that day on the river and it really seemed to bother Ard (didn't faze me as I was actually getting bites!). I do not have any other guide experience but I can tell you that I have not seen anyone in all my years on a river bust their butt and work/worry about getting a fish on a line more than him. I finally broke down a few hours into the day and told him about the fishing black cloud that hangs over my head. So he spent the morning helping my polish my switch casting to something that while not pretty was affective and kept me from torching my casting arm, he then continued to give pointers and encouragement the rest of the day. I missed many, many fish that I was either not paying enough attention or when I went to set the hook the rods just didn't seem to have the backbone in it (more on this later). Then there was about 4 fish that were able to get a good run in before tossing the hook and the one chum that I fought for 5 minutes all the way to the net before he spit the fly and I got to demonstrate the "Means release" for Ard. :clap:

After the river day with Ard we headed down to the Russian river confluence and I spent another 2 1/2 days between there and the walkway in Soldotna fishing. It was here after a grand total of 32 hours fishing (including the 12 with Ard) that I was able to catch and land my first Salmon. It was a near chrome Sockeye hen that weighed around 5 pounds and totally beat the living hell out of my equipment and me. This was after a local river rat helped me with the "flip" and tied on a piece of level 30 pound tippet and 3/8 ounce weight to my poor 8 weight fly rod. :eek:

We then moved down stream the next day and I opted to trash the heavy lead and use a sink tip, this resulted in us foul hooking tons of fresh pinks. I adjusted the sink tip to a shorter 2 foot piece and while the action slowed down I was able to properly catch and release my first salmon (no flipping!). We spent another night at the Ferry fishing (proper sink tip no more lead for me!) and were able to watch 5 grizzly come up on the far side and run all the fishermen off of the river. We also got to watch mamma grizz beat the ever living snot out of some young bear that wasn't her cubs, she moved faster than I ever thought possible and literally whipped the other bear up AND down the bend south of the ferry.

As for gear here is what I took and my personal assessment of it.

Echo Ion 8 weight fly rod paired with a Sage 2280 disk reel and Rio line. Also used was an Echo 10'9" 6 weight switch rod paired with the Allen Alpha 3 reel and Chucker line.

Both the rods seemed like they were too soft when I was with Ard and I was wondering if it was me or the gear that wasn't letting me get a solid hook set. I confirmed it on the Russian that both rods were just to "soft" for me. It ended up that even on the fresh pinks with a new and sharp fly I had to set the hook 3-4 times to make sure it stuck. After the line would come tight I would snap the rod up like I was trying to clear a snag and with the 30lb tippet this seemed to do the trick. If I couldn't get a few hook sets in then the fish would toss the fly every single time.

As for the reels I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Sage 2280 is not a "salmon" class reel. LMAO :p When I hooked into the hen Sockeye I went to turn the drag tighter since she was running away like a freight train only to discover that the drag was already at max. It's been a long time since I had to finger palm a reel but I somehow managed to do it with no bruises. After two days of fishing this reel for salmon it started to squeak when the drag was at maximum. Other than that it took everything that I could dish out to it and I think it will be perfect as a trout of bass reel.

The Allen reel only got a semi workout on the chum I caught but from what little I was able to use it, it seemed that the drag was smooth and up to the task. I wish I would have hooked into a big one of the Russian with it but that wasn't to be.

Total cost for the two of us to have this adventure is looking like it will be around $4,000.00 to $4,500.00 between both of us. We took over 800 photos between us but I haven't uploaded them to a server to share yet.

The equipment lost tally was as follows:
Nippers
Zinger with said nippers
nice pair of forceps
numerous swivel heavy flipping weights
about a 1 pound of split shot
around 40 yards of tippet
and probably 2 to 2 1/2 dozen flies total.

I would like to give a big thanks to everyone on the forums who helped with the details on this and a special thanks to Ard for the great day and his wife for the great river lunch.