Need Some Fishing Destinations in Alaska for my Summer Trip

wmeyer116

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I need some help planning my trip.

Me and my buddy are planning a backpacking/fly fishing trip in the western United States, Western Canada, and Alaska, from late July to November of 2014. We're from Tennessee, and only get out west a couple times a year, and rarely to Canada at all.

We will be going to Alaska first to hit the salmon runs, as well as any other trout fishing, and then we will be going down into the Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta, and down into Montana from there.We will be living out of my diesel jeep wrangler, and living a care-free half year in fishing bliss :)

I really have no knowledge of Canadian fly fishing, or Alaskan fishing, including where to go, what time to go there, and I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions. Anything is appreciated. We fish for trout and salmon, but are open to some lake fishing as well. Anything from small mountain streams to large rivers!

Thanks in advance!

Will

wmeyer116

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I just kind of want to start getting an outline planned of where to go and how long we'll be spending in each place.

Thanks again

Monello

Reaction score
Next year is a pink year. If your goal is to catch LOTS of fish then be on the Kenai in late August.

If you have a float tube you can hike back for grayling at Grayling lake, just outside of Seward. If you are in good shape you can hike all the way to Cresent lake.

Behind the visitor center in Soldotna you can fish from the boardwalk. You don't even need waders down there but they do help.

Some nights you can dry camp at the pull outs. If you head over to Whittier you can just park along the shore of Tangle lake and camp there for free. Lots of free and inexpensive spots to spend the night.

Don't forget to pack some bug & bear spray. Good luck.

L

Liphookedau

As Brookfield Angler has posted Ard is The Guy who Really can help.
Brian.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Will: If Ard (hardyreels) doesn't see your post, send him a PM! He guides out of Wasilla and even if you can't afford a guide he will give you plenty of good advise on where you can do DIY fishing.

If you guys swing through westernq Wyoming on your fly fishing adventure, give me a shout, I can give you lots of ideas on fishing or take you out if interested, lots of great water nearby.

Larry

Last edited:

brod

Reaction score
Get a copy of the Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide by Gunnar Pedersen

Lots of web-cams can be found by searching. Look for Russian River Ferry DOT. It was too long to copy.

Check out the run charts which will tell which salmon are running when and where.

This would be my trip itinerary once you reach Anchorage you can fish all along the way until you get to ANC but I haven’t done that (yet).

The Kenai and Russian rivers in July, peak of the Red run on the Kenai, good trout on the Russian, crowded everywhere! Lots of lakes to fish on the Kenai if you have canoe, kayak, etc.

When you get tired of that head up the Parks Highway to Fairbanks. Great places to fish all along the way, Willow Creek, Montana Creek. Do not miss the Roadhouse in Talkeetna get the sourdough pancakes. You can take Mahay’s Jet Boat service to Clear Creek from Talkettna.

No need to go all the way to Fairbanks unless you want to do a fly-out to Dune Lake. Maybe one of the best kept secrets in AK. He flies to several lakes - much more than pike fishing. There is good grayling fishing around Fairbanks.

If no go for Fairbanks turn right on the Denali Highway at Cantwell to Paxson - follow Gunnar’s advice all along the way. McClaren River Lodge (mile 42) will take you upriver and drop you off for some grayling. Don’t miss Tangle Lakes. And then what is becoming my favorite the Gulkana River. The river runs through Paxson. Go north for some of the best grayling fishing to be found anywhere.

South of Paxson is suppose to be very good rainbow and salmon fishing (if in season) haven’t gotten to do that yet. This is where my experience runs out. Suppose to be great fishing all the way to Valdez. Hope to find out soon maybe even this summer.

God Bless!

Doug Lane

Now that I think about it I might have reacted to quickly. Thinking about Alaska will do that. I am use to flying into Anchorage and then making the LOOP. We did drive up in 2010 and since you are driving I might consider reversing the course.

When you get to Tok I'd take the Tok Cuttoff to Glennallen from there you could go south to Valdez or North towards to Fairbanks or the Denali highway and hit the Gulkana, Paxson, etc.

I would not miss being on the Russian in Sepetember if I was going to be in AK that long. It is not nearly as crowded as in the summer and the trout are cleaning up on the dead salmon.

Last edited:

schooner36

Reaction score
Good advice from Doug, that book is great. You also need a current Milepost.
For someplace that isn't crowded, think about the Prince of Wales island. It is noted for rain, bears, and fish. It is about a 4 hour ferry ride from Ketchikan, of course it is also a ferry ride to get there. Fish Alaska did a issue on the island in the Dec 2012 issue that was good, maybe you can order it from them.

We stayed at a campground in Coffman Cove and had fun, we also went to Hydaburg to help with a totem pole raising, and that was great.

Some very good fishing around Ketchikan.

PM me if you want.

Fred

kodiak338

Reaction score
If you're going to be anywhere near a road plan on combat fishing. Fish non glacier fed rivers less than 200 miles upstream from the ocean. The farther west and northwest the better. Any river with lodges plan on boats running up and down from sunup to sundown. Alaska is not the Alaska of yore. GL