Hooligan!!

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Well not exactly fly fishing related but definitely an Alaskan experience. We went dipnetting for Hooligan last night and filled a cooler in an hour or so once the tide turned. I can eat just about anything but I still haven't acquired a taste for the oily little buggers. My buddies inlaws are Filipino and they love them so the fish were for his 75 yr old MIL. Always something to do here and I love to get out and try it all. Hit the HD setting to clear things up a bit.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFCfdNbhUpc[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNh9scl8R_c[/ame]

Hundreds of eagles around for the bounty, as well as some four legged critters looking for a spring feast.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
They'll take a fly :)

I've found kings this early that obviously followed the Hoolies and while swinging large black & white marabou for the kings have caught a bunch of Hoolies. That happens even in the glaciated waters and was a big clue that fish can see to some extent in the murky stuff.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
I don't doubt they'll take a fly. I did see some larger fish thrash the surface last night which left me wondering a bit. There are some big dollies that come in to 20 mile so they might have been feeding. We were surprised the Belugas were not there considering the strength of the run already. They must be over at the mouth of the Su.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What got me watching the Hooligan run was the fact that they are a food source for salmon, dollie's , and large rainbow trout out in the inlet. It occurred to me that when they all came up the rivers there may be some big guys following. On another topic; I'm leaving soon to pick up some UHMW for the bottom of my boat. With the lack of rain and already low conditions I'm spending some additional time preparing for contact ;)

I'd be on the water tomorrow but have a building to paint so there will be no testing until Monday at the soonest. I still have a new Sage One 13'6" rod I haven't cast..............