RV Fishing Trip to Anchorage, Alaska

e2mirage

Reaction score
I will have the trip start on mid of July, about 2 weeks . I will get the RV during that time, anyone has the experience of where to fish, or what to fishing? Any comment will be welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

littledavid123

Reaction score
Where are you crossing into Canada?
What fish are you wanting to catch?
What wt is your fly rod?
Do you mind doing some walking?
Can you give us more details about yourself?
How much time do you have to fish?

Dave

e2mirage

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding.

Where are you crossing into Canada?

I will not .

What fish are you wanting to catch?

That's what I want to know for my time schedule in Anchorage.

What wt is your fly rod?

I have 5wt, 7 wt, 8 wt spey

Do you mind doing some walking?

Ok.

Can you give us more details about yourself?

In Great lake, steelheading the best!

How much time do you have to fish?

10 days.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Well mid July can be a bit tricky. The big rivers like the Kenai and Kasilof will be at their summer high volumes. Lots of sockeye coming in though and if you position yourself in the right places you can have lots of fun. The Russian is always busy but it's certainly wadable and fishable as long as there hasn't been any significant rain. Quartz creek towards the end of your trip can be productive for dollys and rainbows that are following the sockeye upstream (note that salmon fishing is prohibited here). The Anchor river can have some decent dolly fishing, but it's still early for silvers. The Resurrection River in Hope with be plugged with pink salmon if you're looking for that, plus Hope is just a cool little AK village.

North of Anchorage there's the Little Su, Willow, and Montana Creek as well as several others that can produce fish. Rainbows will be spread out upstream following spawning Kings. Find the Kings, find the trout. Closer to their confluences with the Big Su you can find chum and pinks at that time of the year.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Gunner Pederson's "The Highway Angler" which is loaded with really good info about road access fishing throughout the state. If you pick up this years edition I'll be smiling at you on page 69!:icon_lol:

e2mirage

Reaction score
Well mid July can be a bit tricky. The big rivers like the Kenai and Kasilof will be at their summer high volumes. Lots of sockeye coming in though and if you position yourself in the right places you can have lots of fun. The Russian is always busy but it's certainly wadable and fishable as long as there hasn't been any significant rain. Quartz creek towards the end of your trip can be productive for dollys and rainbows that are following the sockeye upstream (note that salmon fishing is prohibited here). The Anchor river can have some decent dolly fishing, but it's still early for silvers. The Resurrection River in Hope with be plugged with pink salmon if you're looking for that, plus Hope is just a cool little AK village.

North of Anchorage there's the Little Su, Willow, and Montana Creek as well as several others that can produce fish. Rainbows will be spread out upstream following spawning Kings. Find the Kings, find the trout. Closer to their confluences with the Big Su you can find chum and pinks at that time of the year.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Gunner Pederson's "The Highway Angler" which is loaded with really good info about road access fishing throughout the state. If you pick up this years edition I'll be smiling at you on page 69!:icon_lol:

Thank you so much! I already bought the book, it's on the way.