Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Best Time/Where to Vist Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by bushak View Post
    I live in Bethel but I'm in Anchorage quite bit. Is the Quartz or Ptarmigan creek worth fishing In May or June? I primarily fish Tenkara the size of the fish doesn't matter much.

Both Quartz and Ptarmigan creeks are closed from 5/1-6/11. After they open you certainly could catch some resident fish but I doubt they would be in there in very big numbers. The majority of trout enter those streams following the sockeye, though I would expect some spawn there. The Russian river would probably have more trout and they take nymphs and drys pretty enthusiastically. If it was me I'd head north and walk Willow, Sheep, or Montana creeks. Some great trout fishing to be had at that time of year. Swinging leech patterns into cover like logjams, overhanging brush, cutbanks, etc., is the ticket in June.
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope...

2. Likes bushak, technowannabe liked this post

Default Re: Best Time/Where to Vist Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    Both Quartz and Ptarmigan creeks are closed from 5/1-6/11. After they open you certainly could catch some resident fish but I doubt they would be in there in very big numbers. The majority of trout enter those streams following the sockeye, though I would expect some spawn there. The Russian river would probably have more trout and they take nymphs and drys pretty enthusiastically. If it was me I'd head north and walk Willow, Sheep, or Montana creeks. Some great trout fishing to be had at that time of year. Swinging leech patterns into cover like logjams, overhanging brush, cutbanks, etc., is the ticket in June.
    Thanks for the feedback! I did a little more research and saw that those particular streams were closed. I fished Willow last fall at the end of October and had a lot of fun.

4. Likes technowannabe, ptarmigan liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12