Best Time/Where to Visit Alaska?

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
What is the ideal time to visit/fish Alaska. Weather/mosquitoes/good fishing/etc.
And where would you go for a DIY trip?

Last edited by a moderator:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Re: Best Time/Where to Vist Alaska?

Targeted species will determine best times for trip as far as the fishing goes. I have only fished there with a guide (Hardyreels from this forum) and that venue surely wasn't going to happen DIY so I can't help you there. I can tell you if you avoid peak vacation season you can save considerable money on air travel, accommodations etc. It's very touristy JUN-AUG.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score

More than likely I would go in September. It's usually much less crowded and my favorite month to fish. I plan on flying in and renting a vehicle/RV. Then drive to spots.

ia_trouter

Reaction score

More than likely I would go in September. It's usually much less crowded and my favorite month to fish. I plan on flying in and renting a vehicle/RV. Then drive to spots.
I understand that is a good time for larger rainbows. There are others on the forum with more AK experience that I have.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

AK Fish and Game uses sonar to count migrating fish on several rivers, you can use this site to see the time of year for each species to give you an idea when to visit depending on the species you want to target.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fish...splayResults&COUNTLOCATIONID=40&SpeciesID=420

Weather/mosquitoes are a guessing game. The drier the summer the less mosquitoes, the wetter the summer the more mosquitoes. Under normal conditions the mosquitoes aren't to bad in the middle of the summer. I lived in Fairbanks for 16 years, we used 100% Deet spray, not something you see or need in the lower 48.

One option that I always wanted to do was a fishing trip using the Alaska railroad system. Buy a ticket and jump on the train in Anchorage and jump off when you get to a river you want to explore. Fish/camp and when done, get back on the track and wave the train down when ready to return to Anchorage. At least that is the way the operated when I lived there, if interested get on their web site and make sure they still do that. No matter what you do, remember you are not at the top of the food chain, carry bear spray and keep an ultra clean camp and you won't have bear problems.

Another option would be to fly into Anchorage and use one of the operators using float planes on Lake Hood to fly out to a remote location. There are numerous operators offering various fishing options. Here is just one, but it has a chart that lists the dates that various fish can be in the rivers.
Alaska Fly-in Fishing Trips: Remote Alaska Fishing | Rust's Flying Service

triggw

Reaction score

Did some research on that question last year for a trip with my wife. My conclusion was the fishing would be best in Sept. (I was interested in trout or silvers.) But the best weather is in May and gets wetter with each month. Since this was not primarily a fishing trip, we went in June. The weather was nice, and the trout season was at least open on the Kenai.

ptarmigan

Reaction score

If you're coming to South Central, September is a great time of year. There are silvers available along with lots of fat trout. Driving North you can hit up Willow, Sheep, Montana, Byers, Troublesome, and even Honolulu creek for trout and silvers. South would have Quartz, Ptarmigan, Russian, Kenai (upper river if on foot is somewhat doable), Kasilof (mouth of Crooked starts getting steelhead), Deep, Ninilchik, and Anchor river.

Egg and flesh patterns are tops for trout that time of year, but don't discount leech and sculpin patterns either as they work well for both trout and salmon. Plan on everything from 35* to 70* with sun to rain mixed with snow and you will be fine.

bushak

Reaction score

If you're coming to South Central, September is a great time of year. There are silvers available along with lots of fat trout. Driving North you can hit up Willow, Sheep, Montana, Byers, Troublesome, and even Honolulu creek for trout and silvers. South would have Quartz, Ptarmigan, Russian, Kenai (upper river if on foot is somewhat doable), Kasilof (mouth of Crooked starts getting steelhead), Deep, Ninilchik, and Anchor river.

Egg and flesh patterns are tops for trout that time of year, but don't discount leech and sculpin patterns either as they work well for both trout and salmon. Plan on everything from 35* to 70* with sun to rain mixed with snow and you will be fine.
I live in Bethel but I'm in Anchorage quite bit. Is the Quartz or Ptarmigan creek worth fishing In May or June? I primarily fish Tenkara the size of the fish doesn't matter much.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Best Time/Where to Vist Alaska?

I live in Bethel but I'm in Anchorage quite bit. Is the Quartz or Ptarmigan creek worth fishing In May or June? I primarily fish Tenkara the size of the fish doesn't matter much.

Both Quartz and Ptarmigan creeks are closed from 5/1-6/11. After they open you certainly could catch some resident fish but I doubt they would be in there in very big numbers. The majority of trout enter those streams following the sockeye, though I would expect some spawn there. The Russian river would probably have more trout and they take nymphs and drys pretty enthusiastically. If it was me I'd head north and walk Willow, Sheep, or Montana creeks. Some great trout fishing to be had at that time of year. Swinging leech patterns into cover like logjams, overhanging brush, cutbanks, etc., is the ticket in June.

bushak

Reaction score

Both Quartz and Ptarmigan creeks are closed from 5/1-6/11. After they open you certainly could catch some resident fish but I doubt they would be in there in very big numbers. The majority of trout enter those streams following the sockeye, though I would expect some spawn there. The Russian river would probably have more trout and they take nymphs and drys pretty enthusiastically. If it was me I'd head north and walk Willow, Sheep, or Montana creeks. Some great trout fishing to be had at that time of year. Swinging leech patterns into cover like logjams, overhanging brush, cutbanks, etc., is the ticket in June.
Thanks for the feedback! I did a little more research and saw that those particular streams were closed. I fished Willow last fall at the end of October and had a lot of fun.