South Central Alaska Sweltering in Heat!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were 30 years old again and wanted to work on my tan these past few years would have been perfect. The problem is that I am not and I run a one man guide & outfitter service in the greater Mat Su Basin.

There are fore casted rains for Wednesday night July 20 through Saturday the 23rd. At this time rain, hard rains would be a blessing. Regardless of what the weather page online says it is 10:15 AM and already 70 degrees at my home and certainly the same at the cabin out on Hewitt Lake.

The glacial rivers are running crazy high due to the melting of our precious ice but any and all streams and small rivers within my scope of travel are essentially drying up and getting dangerously warm.

I was able to boat one medium size river yesterday and did catch 4 species of salmon along with 5 nice rainbows but I did so wearing a pair of Columbia water shorts, sandals and at times a T shirt. Most of the afternoon I left the shirt in the boat as well.

I'll be back out tomorrow so I can have first hand accounting of the dropping water levels and will remember to take my stream thermometer with. The water is warm enough that when I took a dip yesterday (because I was dressed for it) there was no exhilarating shock when you just took the plunge. Nice if you're looking to swim around but bad news for those attired in their Simms G-4 waders and other fishing finery. It's hot here.

I have trips to do but my normal destination is off the list of possibilities because of severe lack of water; too low for a jet boat.

SO if you are headed this way my advice is to pack for both tropical and cool northern weather conditions. Tie your flies smaller than you normally would because the flows are low and be prepared to make changes to destination plans based on conditions at your arrival.

Not a pretty picture but it's what's happening at this time.

Ard

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Hopefully the rain keeps coming when it starts and continues so we can fish where we originally planned next month. I'm still looking forward to spending time with you, Nancy, and of course, the one and only Boss. I'll bring both shorts and waders just in case. I'm sure that regardless the weather we're gonna have a great time.:)

racine

Reaction score
"..SO if you are headed this way my advice is to pack for both tropical and cool northern weather conditions. Tie your flies smaller than you normally would because the flows are low and be prepared to make changes to destination plans based on conditions at your arrival.

Ard..."

Ard,
What exactly is Tropical weather for SE AK or for that matter cool N. weather conditions-coming from a lower 48 fisherman? I'll be there in late Aug-early Sept. What kind of sunglasses color should I bring? When I was doing my annual training in sunny Ft. Smith, AR in August-that meant heat indices of 115-127. Cool weather was high 80's at midnight. I appreciate your help!
Thanks,
Racine

ia_trouter

Reaction score
"..SO if you are headed this way my advice is to pack for both tropical and cool northern weather conditions. Tie your flies smaller than you normally would because the flows are low and be prepared to make changes to destination plans based on conditions at your arrival.

Ard..."

Ard,
What exactly is Tropical weather for SE AK or for that matter cool N. weather conditions-coming from a lower 48 fisherman? I'll be there in late Aug-early Sept. What kind of sunglasses color should I bring? When I was doing my annual training in sunny Ft. Smith, AR in August-that meant heat indices of 115-127. Cool weather was high 80's at midnight. I appreciate your help!
Thanks,
Racine
FT Chaffee, Africa hot :)

I'm sure Ard will chime in. Check the hours of daylight for that date. You should be getting closer to the end of summer. I was there with Ard in July 2014 and it hit low 80s. The suns reflective intensity off the water really adds to the heat. I recall about a 14 hour excursion and it cook you in waders some days. I spent as much time as I could in the cold water. Also had an Army Gortex jacket I wore other days. I am pretty used to Iowa summers in the humid 90s but it was surely warmer than I expected though in AK.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Lots of rain over the weekend. Cool and rainy weather forecast for the next 7-10 days. River temps will be dropping, clearwater streams have been rising, and fires are getting put out.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lots of rain over the weekend. Cool and rainy weather forecast for the next 7-10 days. River temps will be dropping, clearwater streams have been rising, and fires are getting put out.
Matt: That is great news!

We sure do need some rain here in Western Wyoming and SE Montana.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Looks like the heat wave has since cooled down. Looking at the 7 day forecast for the Anchorage area and it looks like low 60's and high 50's for my trip next week.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Oh no, 70 degrees, I don't know what I'd do!

Sorry to hear about the water conditions though, that always stinks. Luckily the river has remained good here, just barely tipped to 60 in the early evenings with this heat, so still a ways to go before we need to worry about any type of hoot owl stuff.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It has been raining John but the river continues to drop. I just came back after six days at camp, since last Saturday the water line at the gravel bar where I park the boat is receded one foot equating to about a 3" drop. Soggy camp but water dropping; we caught 4 species of salmon and trout also. Salmon all pushed up past us but I tracked them down this morning and we got a couple, it was slow. I got home at 7:00 PM and cleaned the boat, gotta tie flies and am returning early AM. We will talk before you arrive to be sure you get picked up. I'll be on the river the day you arrive but will be home by evening.

Chances are I'll know where they are; count on silvers are down so they closed Bait :) That's good news for you. Bait brings every knuckle dragger out of the woodwork.