Alaska Report

catspaw

Reaction score
We just got back from two weeks of fishing two different rivers. First let me say Alaska is a long way from Connecticut, but well worth the trip. The first week we fished the Nushagak River with Dave Egdorfs Western Alaska Fishing Adventures, a two hour float plane flight north of Dillingham. As some of the earlier posters commented the constant rain the previous three weeks had the river high and dirty but we still caught more fish than anyone needs to. All the young guides there worked their butts off to get us on fish. We ran upriver to get into the smaller clear tribs and had a ball. We caught fish on beads, streamers and dries; rainbows, silvers, sockeye, dollies, and grayling. Just being in a wilderness area so remote was as spectacular as the fishing. Bears, Brown and Black, moose, wolfs (heard not seen) otter, beaver, mink and countless birds all made appearances.

The second week we fished the Aniak River with The Aniak River Lodge outfit. The Aniak was running 4 feet higher than normal and muddy but again the guides got us on even more fish that the previous week. The dollies were smaller and the grayling fewer but we caught silvers in abundance, some places on every cast. Rainbows were caught everyday averaging between 20 and 22 inches. On par with the fishing was the accommodations. How's fresh picked tundra blueberry pancakes for breakfast, or rack of lamb for dinner sound? This is a remote camp tent camp. The logistics of getting the tents, bedding, electricity, cooking facilities, showers, dining supplies and food to these remote areas is mind boggling. Every September the entire upper camp has to be disassembled and moved down river and then in June hauled back up and reassembled. I can't say enough about the effort put in by everyone at both lodges. It was a true wilderness adventure.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
So happy to hear that you got the fish! Our rivers are just now back to normal but unfortunately the salmon are somewhere in the 100 miles of river above where I had the camp established. I relate fully with the amount of effort it takes to put accommodations for anglers in remote areas. Aniak is on my list for next year, I've got a friend living in Aniak who has offered to take me to the best areas so I'm headed up there.

Always good to read a good AK. report.

Ard

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
That sounds like an amazing trip. I can hear the excitement in your writing… Always nice when a big trip like this works out as well if not better than one was hoping. Will you posting any pic’s…?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Sigh ...... Longish ramble to follow.

**Well back in the day when I had staffing in three offices in Alaskee (and three in Hawaii). Need to do face time three times a year in both places ... I did the Alaska runs ...my staff drew lots as who got to go to Hawaii.:rolleyes:

Fair deal all around. :bowdown: Maybe why my staff turn over was about 1% annually** in an industry where 20% or more was the norm. Well .. I also set the high bar for salaries in the Mortgage Lending field. Only the very best of the best had to apply.

Need to hire, I interviewed and so did a few of my staff. Those Ladies could smell BS a mile away. :surprise: Didn't have to remind them that the word 'Team' was not a four letter word. They got the point that I 'paid' attention .. no bad pun intended.

With rare exception 'turn over' was 'Husband's got a good 'job offer' or "I'm Pregnant." If the first we just transfered their location, if possible, with the second 'You will stay on full pay/bennies for four months after you go on leave (this was not a Federal requirement at the time), then let me know if I have to re-fill your desk.' That sort of pay was not required by Federal Law but why loose a valued employee?

What made me 'squeek' was being told the new Son was John Frederick XXX. What the hell do you say to that?

For the most part I lived in far different times if you really cared. Once, just once, a local labor union wanted to sign up my staff and 'demanded' an employee list. Refered them to the 'phone book' as all my staff are located there.

Not a single taker.