Yippie It's Snowing Here!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
And it's coming down good for the past couple hours. I was out to the cabin for a few days since this past Sunday and from where I launched the snowmachine all the way to the cabin there was about one foot of snow. It's a 75 mile trip and usually there will be some spots where there was a good dump but not this year.

It's never a good thing if we get hit with real depth all at once but at this point I'll take whatever comes. I have a few things that need caught up on around home and then it looks like I get to enjoy a smoother ride this coming week.

I know we have some members from other parts of the state, if you read this please feel free to tell me what conditions are like where you are at. I'm 7 miles outside Wasilla and the cabin is north of Skwentna.

:worthy: Snow is a good thing here

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad for you Ard;) I know snow is important in your corner of the world:)
Not sure it'll snow here even once this winter....if it happens I will email you a pic of my yard:biggrin:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Good news, Ard. I am going to say that, so far this winter has been most persistently cold and snowy around my parts that I can remember. I know that in the four years we've been living in the Bitterroot that we have not had this depth of snow or even constant snow cover for this long. It is very good.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Good news, Ard. I am going to say that, so far this winter has been most persistently cold and snowy around my parts that I can remember. I know that in the four years we've been living in the Bitterroot that we have not had this depth of snow or even constant snow cover for this long. It is very good.
John: Same deal down here in western Wyoming, I've only lived here five years, but this is the most snow accumulation that I have seen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It kinda piddled out this morning at around 6 inches and it's warm enough that it is crusty on the surface. I expect the temps to drop again and the snow to stay. I'll find out what happened at the cabin when I get there next week.

I'll watch for your e-mail and picture JP :)

duker

Reaction score
Ard, I'm not in Alaska but Canada's frozen north. We've had a fair bit of snow in the last few days, including today, which is a good thing because so far this winter we've had the least amount of snow in 40 years. I spent about an hour this afternoon shovelling out the house and car and truck, then another hour or so chopping wood.

We need all the snow we can get. Over the last few years our snow fall just hasn't been what it usually is, resulting in dry ground conditions and low water levels come summer. And, of course, those conditions mean a lot of forest fires.

So yeah: snow is a good thing.

Scott

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Yippie, it's not snowing here. :) Glad you are getting yours Ard because I know how important it is there. We have had plenty of moisture and not so far away, drought conditions. I truly wish I had taken a course in college. I don't understand how weather can be so diverse over fairly short distances, and remain that way for long periods of time.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Ard,

Sounds like west of the Parks north of Willow got dumped on again a couple of days ago. I'm hoping this winters higher snow pack is going to offer better water conditions going into the summer. Can't be much worse than the last couple of years! Hopefully the trails are good for you now up the Yetna. I know this time of year is the best to get supplies hauled up there.

Matt