Fall 2016 Steelhead and Trout pics.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I hounded the fish until I got a little too much frostbite last fall. Here are a couple or more of the fish caught.

Steelhead

Steelhead with the Wilkinson still in the jib.

Hard to get quality pics alone, this was a nice one.

Rainbow trout

Right after I got the fish above my pal Brent landed this one.

Two from a different part of the state.

There were others but some of the steelhead were not any larger than a good trout. Average trout was perhaps 17" or so with largest being 25 but I was fortunate to get several look alike rainbows that were all in the 2 foot size range. All of the fish I caught came to streamers and most were caught on a variation of the Wilkinson Sunray tied on a Pro Tube with an Owner #6 needle point in the extension tube.

I'm still hunting those steelies that come into my home river, they are so few and the river is 100 miles long so I fish and I fish. One of these days though, one of these days.

Springs just around the corner and that means an entire new crop of King flies to tie.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You had a good fall from these PICs and those shown before. It looks like it is 30F but I know I am looking at Alaskan dress. :) Out of curiosity what is a good catch rate on the fly when you find them" A couple fish a day or more? I haven't fished for them, but by most reports they are getting tougher off the Great Lakes tribs. Steve and a few others would have much more insight on that for sure.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
When I fished in the Salmon River NY. and various creeks flowing into Lake Eire there could be days where there were a great many fish to be caught. I'd have to say that a dozen would be my high on Lake run fish. Here in 2005 - 06 - 07 and 08 I had some outstanding days with as many as eight caught on any given day. Things got tougher and when fishing streamers in these big rivers, surrounded by people flogging the water with beads and bobbers I consider two a good day and getting hooked up or hit by four or more is a really good day.

Best day this past year saw two in the net and one lost due to a hook breaking off a shank tie.

The trout as you know, that depends on which river you fish. I can go to one and catch upward of 50 but I need either a fly in trip or a camp in order to fish there. The rivers which are easy to reach.......... a dozen on a streamer represents a very good day. of course I'm counting on at least one of those to be close to or over 2 foot, that's if you catch 12.

When you are after steelhead and not taking stock of any other species you can go all day without touching one. Those days you may catch a dozen silvers and a couple trout for your trouble. It does seem like trouble with the salmon because if you are waded out very far then getting mixed up with a ten pound fish means a trip to shore to deal with it. I tried in vain to handle one last year while in the water up to my butt. No dice; Spey rod and crazy fish = broken line and fly gone .

This ain't Bristol Bay :)