Reality Visits South Central Alaska;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I spend a great deal of forum time reading threads in the General Discussion area. However every now and then I reply to something only to realize afterward that the post could perhaps be useful in the Alaskan General threads. With that thought I am placing copy of a post here.

This was the result of a members post wherein he laments the general decline of fishing quality in his area and suggested he may 'quit' trout & salmon fishing. The member was referencing conditions in the Eastern Lower 48 but I went ahead and began writing a dissertation about my area. I didn't intend it but it happened.

BTW. I had the acute foresight to not book any king salmon fishing clients this season and took only a sparse few for other species. Nothing is worse than having someone get skunked............. below is what I posted in reply to a thread on the General forum.

[I feel ya, and am sorry to hear about your local stream. I wrote a story years ago which is tucked away in my forum blog maybe ten pages back called 'Kiss & Tell Fishing and Why I Don't'. You may find that interesting seeing that it describes events that occurred over 40 years ago. I had not planned on airing my thoughts or woes here on the forum at this time but since you have came forth with your lament I will tell you a little about my 2017 season, as well as a bit of history...........

This year has been tough here in my part of Alaska like many other places. The king salmon return for 2017 is the reflection of the 2012 season. This is because the fish need at least 5 years to transition from an egg in gravel (2012) to an adult salmon returning from salt water in 2017. The year 2012 was dismal in that both south central AK. and western AK. experienced an unprecedented low in king salmon numbers. Fishing was closed from the Yukon River all the way down to here, basically there were 20% of what could be considered normal return numbers. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a determination of what exactly has caused this sharp decline. That June run of very few fish was subjected to 7 day a week harvest until the F&G people realized that we had a severe problem at which point the fishing was restricted.

As if things weren't bad enough the sparse return was followed by the most severe flooding the area has ever recorded. The flood crested in early October of 2012. That would be just about precisely the time when those few precious eggs would have transformed into tiny salmon fry and been seeking shelter at the very edges of our rivers and creeks. Those little edge waters and sloughs disappeared as the rivers and creeks exceeded their banks by hundreds of yards in some cases.

Me, I know these things and so you may imagine how shocked I was when the regulations for this 2017 season were unveiled. Harvest of returning king salmon was allowed seven day a week with a limit restriction placed on only one river in my region. What few fish that did return as adults, some of which could have been 3,4, or 6 year fish who simply returned either early or late depending on actual age were greedily harvested by both Guide boats and resident anglers alike. Me, I just observed, I tried to fish in May and the first two weeks of June but based on experience knew that there were very few fish in the various rivers I visited. Fish were however being caught but this was happening in places where angling pressure is crazy heavy. If you place 40 rods on a stretch for 5 hours you essentially have 200 hours of rod time concentrated on that particular stretch of water. If 100 fish attempt to pass through or decide to hold in such an area then the anglers may catch 20 or more and the general perception is that there are a ton of fish here. That is not and has not been the case for years.

Finally in late June when the only two rivers in this part of the state that have weirs where actual hand counts of returning salmon are recorded were obviously way below what we call the 'minimum escapement number' the fishing was closed area wide. My feelings are that this action came much too late as many hundreds of these precious few returning kings were caught and killed.

Our Pacific Silver Salmon numbers are likewise in serious distress but each year the regulations allow for liberal harvest until such time that it is realized there are very few fish coming up the rivers. It is not a pretty picture for someone who has built their life around fishing in south central Alaska for the past 14 seasons.

Trout fishing? Trout and grayling numbers are tied inseparably to salmon numbers. This is due to our latitude, many streams here lack a heavy population of aquatic insect life. This is due in great part to the short summer seasons and the extreme winters. The trout - Grayling and chars migrate down stream with the coming of winter but not before gorging themselves on salmon eggs and the flesh of the thousands of dead & decaying salmon to build up body fat and strength so they can survive in the deeper waters of much larger rivers under the ice. Some fish go all the way to the Cook Inlet and winter in the salt water only to return the next year to follow those tens of thousands of salmon back to the natal waters. With the drastic reduction of salmon comes the drastic reduction of available food resource for the indigenous rainbows and other species. The lack of food resources results in far fewer and smaller trout. Like I said it is not a pretty picture.

The only bright spot is that with fewer fish and no fishing in some cases I can find areas which were previously crowded virtually deserted. Peace and quiet and the hope that there may still be a few fish if I use every skill and bit of patience I've been able to develop over a lifetime of fly fishing. I won't quit, there are still a few monster rainbows in my rivers but they are even harder to figure out now. There's always Pike which I have available in abundant numbers at the cabin on the lake so it ain't over till it's over.

I sincerely believe that until 'we' by supporting our state agencies in a positive manner insist that fishery resources be managed for the good of the species and not the people, we are on a track of steady decline. When a species is regulated and enhanced for the survival and good of that species then the angling public will inherently benefit from the management practices. This means short term sacrifices in terms of fishing pressure and harvest but if there is no change at all I can't see this resource lasting much past another decade.

What do you think of that? Alaska, the last frontier, The Great Land.

I concede that if you can regularly throw down a few grand you can still be shuttled by float plane to the Alaska or Seward peninsulas or over to Katmai and experience fishing like was available right near my home just 14 short seasons ago.

I like to fish a lot. I like to set spike camps and fish that way but I just can't see being able to fish the most remote areas (fly ins) without the availability of a boat so you can move around from base camp. Places where you can base camp and fish on foot are becoming quickly crowded due to this very feature. Rafting floats on some remote rivers are becoming so regular that the once wild fish which had never seen a fly or lure are now under daily pressure. This condition is due in part to the general collapse of many fisheries here on mainland Alaska.

And that's all I have to say about that, you aren't alone in any feelings of hopelessness.

I went and looked up the blog entry for those who may wish to read a little history, personal that is :) http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/blogs/ard/193-kiss-tell-fishing-why-i-dont.html ]

This was published by a genuine 'scruffy' Alaskan Fish Guide.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fred,

So far this year I've had three people out just for casting and basic fishing strategy instructions. There's always the chance a person could get hooked up while learning basic skills but none have this year so far. Hell, I'm having a hard time of it and one would hope I have basic skills mastered by this time.....................

I don't mind the teaching thing but it's almost as hard as actual guiding in that you have to clearly articulate and demonstrate techniques and then trouble shoot each person for the entire session.

L

Liphookedau

Hi Ard,Larry as I know you were in Alaska as well.
There's been a Show on You-Tube I've noticed & watched Called The Alaska Salmon Wars in The Bristol Bay Region also others have asked if I've seen it as it's been on one of our Channels over here & there was a link to The Alaska Fish & Game site which gave The Number of Sockeye Salmon ..I think from memory they were predicting 69 million to Enter Bristol Bay 29 million of which had to enter The Rivers of Bristol Bay before the Boats could start...Big Deal..however I'll have to recheck the Numbers.

Bad new as I've even noticed The Decline in Numbers in quite a few Rivers I've visited to Fish as the last 3 times I've Fished in The South Central Area has been well below former visits however I didn't go this year & was preparing to go next year probably to The Bristol Bay Area..
Over The last 3-4 years I've been telling my Fishing mates over here exactly what you have mentioned .." A few years Hardship will be a long time Gain" otherwise most Lodges will be Locked up as nobody want to go as The places are Fished out.
As you know The Limit is 3 Fish per day/person in The South Central Area which doesn't seem many however if The average Lodge caters for 12 Fishers weekly then that becomes many fish over a 2-3 month period as many I know get them smoked & take them home ..I couldn't be bothered as I'm not a Meat Hunter like The Guys we met on The Anchor From Oregon.
You & I have talked about The Problems ..Harvesting Hen Fish & when we were on The Kenai I noticed The Sign at The Big Lodge/ Camp said " You can take home what you catch" another thing a visit to Anchorage Airport will open eyes with the Boxes of Salmon being taken home so The problem is Widespread.
Cheers.
Brian

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

As you know I am a long ways from Bristol Bay and so are about 150,000 other people who live and fish in the region known as South Central. Due to budget constraints there are very few weirs still in operation so they act as the monitors for all the rivers and creeks which have no counts taken. As of today my closest river has logged only 124 Silver Salmon. Now that doesn't mean that a huge push of 20,000 fish couldn't appear on August 7th but thus far the numbers are lagging 1500 to 2000 fish for this date when compared to previous counts. Also keeping in mind that Silvers are a 4 year fish meaning that from run to run it takes 4 years for the fish to visit the ocean and then return.

What is beginning to puzzle me is that given the seemingly low number showing at a point when historically they are returning in decent numbers......... The F&G people have not considered that maybe, just maybe there is not a push of 20,000 about to show up. These streams and rivers are open to harvest and trust me the people are there in great numbers, all headed down river to find any that are holding near the estuary.

That remote river where you and I both fish, you know........ the one you fly over to and I boat to? I have been concerned for years about the way the silvers are hammered at the mouth of the river. They gather there after leaving the silt water before trying to go on up the river. Those 2 lodges each have between 12 and 15 anglers every week during the silver return (that's 3.5 weeks) and they take all those clients down to hammer that tiny pool at the mouth. As many as 40 - 60 fish each day until people feel they have enough. The clients think that there must be a million fish because they catch one every five minutes. The truth is that no one knows how many fish there are because there is no weir / no count! Let me be as clear as I can be, if there are 2500 fish that enter that little river and 80% of them stage together at the mouth enjoying the clear fresh water that would mean a person is casting into a pool containing 2000 salmon. That will lead you to believe that there must be an unimaginable number of fish "in that river".

Truth is that the river is 24 miles long until it leads to the outflow from the lake. The lake is fed by small streams that used to get lots of Sockeye and Silvers both. I've fished that river all the way up and can tell you that salmon are damm hard to find once you leave that bottom mile of river. I don't own either of those lodges but have talked to both about harvesting hens and how it may damage the river in the future. Neither of them heard a word I said.

This year the genius's at Fisheries Management opened that river to harvest of king salmon. No weir, no count, only creel reports to indicate whether there are fish present or not! Of course they caught Kings! They fished right at the mouth the same way they do for silvers. I am very disheartened, I fish every week sometimes 4 days or more. I can't move to work for some lodge in Bristol Bay and can't afford to fly in to fish more than once a year. I have worked for some over there and can tell you the pressure is on the rivers there more than ever because the word is out that South Central is in bad shape.

Bad shape or not the Meat Fleet is out 5 or 7 days a week. One charter operator told my friend who works for F&G something very telling. The F&G fellow was lamenting low returns and ask if the charter operator intended to keep fishing them until the department closed the season? That man told my friend that "If there were only one salmon left in that river it is his right to fish for it".

That's what the real situation is. That is the general mindset of the charter boat operator. They think I'm crazy, guiding guys with Spey rods and releasing fish. They don't like it if I am on a good run with a few fish when they show up but so far only once has someone tried to push us out. Frankly I'm running out of places to go and this is almost over for me. The chance that I will ever write down a river or creek name so that someone who hasn't been there yet might consider going tomorrow? Zero Buddy!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Hi Brian,

As you know I am a long ways from Bristol Bay and so are about 150,000 other people who live and fish in the region known as South Central. Due to budget constraints there are very few weirs still in operation so they act as the monitors for all the rivers and creeks which have no counts taken. As of today my closest river has logged only 124 Silver Salmon. Now that doesn't mean that a huge push of 20,000 fish couldn't appear on August 7th but thus far the numbers are lagging 1500 to 2000 fish for this date when compared to previous counts. Also keeping in mind that Silvers are a 4 year fish meaning that from run to run it takes 4 years for the fish to visit the ocean and then return.

What is beginning to puzzle me is that given the seemingly low number showing at a point when historically they are returning in decent numbers......... The F&G people have not considered that maybe, just maybe there is not a push of 20,000 about to show up. These streams and rivers are open to harvest and trust me the people are there in great numbers, all headed down river to find any that are holding near the estuary.

That remote river where you and I both fish, you know........ the one you fly over to and I boat to? I have been concerned for years about the way the silvers are hammered at the mouth of the river. They gather there after leaving the silt water before trying to go on up the river. Those 2 lodges each have between 12 and 15 anglers every week during the silver return (that's 3.5 weeks) and they take all those clients down to hammer that tiny pool at the mouth. As many as 40 - 60 fish each day until people feel they have enough. The clients think that there must be a million fish because they catch one every five minutes. The truth is that no one knows how many fish there are because there is no weir / no count! Let me be as clear as I can be, if there are 2500 fish that enter that little river and 80% of them stage together at the mouth enjoying the clear fresh water that would mean a person is casting into a pool containing 2000 salmon. That will lead you to believe that there must be an unimaginable number of fish "in that river".

Truth is that the river is 24 miles long until it leads to the outflow from the lake. The lake is fed by small streams that used to get lots of Sockeye and Silvers both. I've fished that river all the way up and can tell you that salmon are damm hard to find once you leave that bottom mile of river. I don't own either of those lodges but have talked to both about harvesting hens and how it may damage the river in the future. Neither of them heard a word I said.

This year the genius's at Fisheries Management opened that river to harvest of king salmon. No weir, no count, only creel reports to indicate whether there are fish present or not! Of course they caught Kings! They fished right at the mouth the same way they do for silvers. I am very disheartened, I fish every week sometimes 4 days or more. I can't move to work for some lodge in Bristol Bay and can't afford to fly in to fish more than once a year. I have worked for some over there and can tell you the pressure is on the rivers there more than ever because the word is out that South Central is in bad shape.

Bad shape or not the Meat Fleet is out 5 or 7 days a week. One charter operator told my friend who works for F&G something very telling. The F&G fellow was lamenting low returns and ask if the charter operator intended to keep fishing them until the department closed the season? That man told my friend that "If there were only one salmon left in that river it is his right to fish for it".

That's what the real situation is. That is the general mindset of the charter boat operator. They think I'm crazy, guiding guys with Spey rods and releasing fish. They don't like it if I am on a good run with a few fish when they show up but so far only once has someone tried to push us out. Frankly I'm running out of places to go and this is almost over for me. The chance that I will ever write down a river or creek name so that someone who hasn't been there yet might consider going tomorrow? Zero Buddy!
That was pretty depressing to read Ard. Not long ago I was impressed with all the weirs and attention to the salmon runs by the ADFG. I thought it was one of the best on earth but not so sure now. Some of the premiere cool water fisheries in Minnesota are also in dire straights and they finally spined up and closed some fine lakes to any harvesting after ten years of serious decline. It has a devastating financial effect on the sport fishing industry but they did what had to be done in spite of protests. There is some hope of a partial recovery in 3-5 years but that isn't going to happen with migratory species. I'm afraid AK is going to wake up too late to do most of us any good. Appears they may wait until some species are truly threatened. It sounds like it won't be long before you need a float plane for a good days fishing and that is truly sad and unnecessary IMO.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Dewayne,

I'm finally mobile again :) Even with all that depressing news I've had bigger fish to fry here.

Exactly 8 days ago I was loading the boat to leave for the cabin. I managed to get a DR Brush & Field Mower strapped down in the bow (weight approximately 240) and was figuring out how many other items beside Boss & I would fit. No doubt it was going to be a slow haul up the river but hey, I was getting ready to go.

That was when I spotted that grease all over the right wheel of the boat trailer :eek: It started out with me figuring I would need a new hub and bearing kit. It ended up eight days and about 1200 miles later with the boat once again hitched to the truck and me looking to Saturday as a departure day.

The spindle on the axle was trashed and take my word getting a proper axel was next to impossible here. Just a little hard to believe when you consider that there are a huge number of boats and trailers here but the search was fruitless. I ended up using one that is a full three inches wider and that meant some modifications to the fenders and the mounts for same. While wallowing in all this I discovered some other issues and there was a fair amount of welding needed.

It's a long story and there was even a villain involved. That's where much of the mileage came from. A boat trailer dealer in Soldotna told me he had the correct axle so I went there. They charged me 360.00 for the axle but it used different hubs than mine had. It did look used but when you're land locked you take the shot and move on right? Nope, I got it back here and discovered that the spindles on the 3500 pound axle tube were 2000 pound spindles. It gets better, they were a proprietary spindle meaning I could not locate hubs and bearings that would seat on the spindles. The bearings fit - the hubs fit but they would not seat against the rear of the spindle. There was a lip lathed into the spindle that caught the bearing races about 3/4" short of seating.

I searched everywhere both in Alaska and on line before facing the fact that the used axle sold at full retail cost had been a Frankenaxle. A careful inspection of the welding where the brake plates and spindles were attached to the tube revealed that the person who had made the unusable axle had welding skills a little better than my own. In other words I had been screwed. So I loaded it back in the truck and took a second 468 mile round trip to Soldotna. Add in 2 full tanks of gas and the man hours and it was just a little bit of a bummer to say the least. They refunded the dough but I was still without an axle...................................

It's been a difficult week buddy. It's done, and all told I don't know what it all cost and don't want to know either.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Hey Dewayne,

I'm finally mobile again :) Even with all that depressing news I've had bigger fish to fry here.

Exactly 8 days ago I was loading the boat to leave for the cabin. I managed to get a DR Brush & Field Mower strapped down in the bow (weight approximately 240) and was figuring out how many other items beside Boss & I would fit. No doubt it was going to be a slow haul up the river but hey, I was getting ready to go.

That was when I spotted that grease all over the right wheel of the boat trailer :eek: It started out with me figuring I would need a new hub and bearing kit. It ended up eight days and about 1200 miles later with the boat once again hitched to the truck and me looking to Saturday as a departure day.

The spindle on the axle was trashed and take my word getting a proper axel was next to impossible here. Just a little hard to believe when you consider that there are a huge number of boats and trailers here but the search was fruitless. I ended up using one that is a full three inches wider and that meant some modifications to the fenders and the mounts for same. While wallowing in all this I discovered some other issues and there was a fair amount of welding needed.

It's a long story and there was even a villain involved. That's where much of the mileage came from. A boat trailer dealer in Soldotna told me he had the correct axle so I went there. They charged me 360.00 for the axle but it used different hubs than mine had. It did look used but when you're land locked you take the shot and move on right? Nope, I got it back here and discovered that the spindles on the 3500 pound axle tube were 2000 pound spindles. It gets better, they were a proprietary spindle meaning I could not locate hubs and bearings that would seat on the spindles. The bearings fit - the hubs fit but they would not seat against the rear of the spindle. There was a lip lathed into the spindle that caught the bearing races about 3/4" short of seating.

I searched everywhere both in Alaska and on line before facing the fact that the used axle sold at full retail cost had been a Frankenaxle. A careful inspection of the welding where the brake plates and spindles were attached to the tube revealed that the person who had made the unusable axle had welding skills a little better than my own. In other words I had been screwed. So I loaded it back in the truck and took a second 468 mile round trip to Soldotna. Add in 2 full tanks of gas and the man hours and it was just a little bit of a bummer to say the least. They refunded the dough but I was still without an axle...................................

It's been a difficult week buddy. It's done, and all told I don't know what it all cost and don't want to know either.
Down here common light trailer spindles and bearings only come in about three sizes. Who knows what you have apparently. Next time I am up we will have to repack bearings lol. I try to do it each winter but some years I don't and rely on the bearing buddies which work about as well if you are attentive. I am pretty picky about bearings. US or Japan made are fine. The Chinese have not mastered bearing manufacturing just yet. They will someday but they have put some serious junk on the market the past few decades. Boats, cars etc I have seen some serious bearing catastrophies over the years.

bushak

Reaction score
Well said Ard. I'm fairly lucky in that I live on the kuskokwim river. There's still really good fishing for trout, dollies, and grayling. I've never been able to fish for king salmon in my seven years out here due to poor runs.

A week ago I did a camping trip from Byers Creek to Quartz Creek and everywhere in between. For the most part we missed the salmon by a day or two in each stream. Weather was fantastic but the fishing was mediocre and that's being fair. I did hook up with some nice dollies and a beautiful 20 inch rainbow at Quartz Creek on my tenkara rod.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I don't understand why it is so difficult for F&G to make the right decision. All I know is if you follow the money there is bound to be a answer for this.

Dave

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately Cordova and Bristol Bay have nothing to do with the mainland of South Central Alaska, especially Western Cook Inlet fisheries. Other than the commercial fleet there is not nearly as much pressure on the salmon in those areas as here. Here we have the road system and thousands of privately owned river boats and the bulk of the summer tourism anglers.

As of August 2nd the 2 rivers which are counting fish have only 800 silver salmon between the two.

My concern is not that of an alarmist who is busily looking for a crisis to wail on about. Rather, it is genuine and the situation is not good for 2017. This means of course that the year 2021 will be equally dismal when considering the low number of fish that may be able to spawn. Naturally the season remains open so what ever people can catch will indeed be killed. The mode of operation with F&G control seems to be that we wait until it is positively clear that the fish are so few and then take action.

My thoughts are no doubt unpopular but I would rather go forward with seasons closed until it becomes clear that there are fish in abundance rather than to kill even 5% of an extremely scant population.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard

I totally agree, the "fish and harvest" mentality is finally depleting the fish population in South Central AK to the point that it may take several years to recover. Seems pretty lame that the AK Fish and Game folks don't take a more proactive approach to managing the fish, especially considering all the fish monitoring sites they have in place.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It doesn't appear they will react properly until the runs are so small the tourism goes away. It's the whole harvest mentality. Virtually everyone knows I fished AK and the first question always asked is how many did I bring home? They have no idea the logistics of transporting fish from the bush, or how ridiculously wasteful it would be for a couple guys to kill a large fish for a shore lunch.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
There isn't really much 'monitoring' in place any longer Larry. During the boom years when oil prices were at 130 - 148 dollars a barrel the state government almost doubled the state budget. They spent all the extra cash and some that hadn't been collected yet to boot. 2.5 years ago we "discovered" almost a 4 billion budget shortfall...................

There are no fish wheels running on the Susitna or Yentna Rivers this year so there is no count / no way to know what's happening in the interior areas any longer.

Curiously the count at one weir for Chum salmon (the one we don't eat) is at 57,000 and counting............ I don't particularly enjoy catching Chum, some folks do but I've caught enough Chum to last for a while. I like medium size kings, say 17 to 27 pound type and silvers. Trout are always good as are the occasional steelhead but frankly if all that's in are Chums I find something else to do.

As a sidebar, I wonder how they came up with the count for Bristol Bay......... I'll predict that in another ten to fifteen years they won't be saying there are 60 million sockeye on return. Those commercial boats are taking close to 38 million this season based on the morning fish report on Alaska Public Radio. I fear that we are counting and calculating the fisheries using 'Apps' and algorithms. Take a sonar reading on a few rivers and extrapolate the data to fit all rivers kind of thing.

But then I don't really know.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

I totally agree, the "fish and harvest" mentality is finally depleting the fish population in South Central AK to the point that it may take several years to recover.
I forgot to address this earlier Larry. Several years is not possible, these are all four and five year fish, so if you have 4 consecutive bad years it would take 20 years minimum to recover given perfect conditions for recovery.

Not only are we dead set against stocking salmon but we can't afford it.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard
Sad to hear that they no longer monitor the fish returns, so basically Fit and Game is shooting in the dark, like Dewayne says, once the tourism dies, they will finally wake up.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I feel bad for bad mouthing Chums......

A couple weeks ago Boss and I took a long river ride to reach some swiftwater where I always manage a couple trout.

Going on 13 years old now Boss has learned to relax on a long ride and to save energy for the walking and wading.

We only caught one hen fish about 14 - 15 inches long but in good condition post spawn but I managed to lose a really nice one. Darn fish failed to get hooked proper.

Between the boat net and my hands we manage to make most fish look like minnows.

Before the day ended we caught two decent size kings (estimate 25 to 27 pound) which were immediately released with no photos, besides, who wants to see a colored up king? And two Chums also.

Here's one.

AK. Assassin on a tube, see how the fly slides away from the fish once hooked up? It really is easier to get hold of that size 4 Owner in the jaw without all the junk tied on it. You can spot the hook right at the corner of the jaw. It doessn't take much of a hook to get hold of a salmon, you just need the point to get into them. Funny how that trout came off though............... I know you guys are doubting my Ghost stories but there are trout in the river as big as those Chums are. The trick for me is keeping them on the hook point long enough to net one. I seem to be able to catch 2 foot fish but once you move to the 30 inch class I have lost every one. Some were close enough to see when the unspeakable happened.

Chums are like giant Chubs in a way, sometimes they break a spell where you are not catching what you are trying to find. They are hard to land and they tear up a run pretty bad until you let them go.

Even then they cause a fuss when they take off. I expect the count to hit 60,000 today so if you are into reeling those in it's Hog Heaven :)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
South Central AK will probably recover but we'll likely be too old to enjoy it. Without miraculous weather for years it's going to crash. The inefficiency of anything government is maddening. They can't afford to post a couple men on a weir on a single river for 6 weeks so they have some factual info on run numbers? I am going to speculate it's a huge tourism attraction. Other than the Kenai about as accessible as it gets. How much did it cost to attempt to eradicate pike on your lake in 2014? A very nice lake, but somewhat insignificant in the big salmon picture. A big waste of money probably repeated around the state. They better find some money for proper management soon or they will regret it. Folks are not going to spend $5K to get skunked. The premiere destinations can't support it all or they will have the same problem soon enough.