The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Re: Reality Visits South Central Alaska;

Of course I think the pike could have been handled in a more cost effective way but it wasn't. When I was leaving yesterday morning I saw a bunch of salmon porpoising as they were making their way up the creek. Total run will only number a couple hundred but they are surviving due to the fact that people don't fish the mouth of the creek any longer, otherwise they would kill some there.

Last year I found decent numbers of sockeye and pink salmon spawning both in the lake and creek. Decent meaning better than none. It's been 9 years since I caught a trout there but I still see one jump now and then but as you know it's a lot of water to go chasing one trout that jumped in.

I have to look at things for what they are and make the best of it. Unlike visitors I'm here 365 days a year and you can count on at least one of them being good. Good meaning just like old times. There's still lots of work to do at the cabin and I can sit on the porch and listen to the loons at night so it ain't all bad. We're in for some good warm days so I'll anchor the boat docks and hang out this coming week.

Weirs aren't an attraction, I've become some guy who they like to stop by and shoot the bull so I'm welcomed. Otherwise they don't have the general public there at all. Last time I spent a few hours they passed a 24" rainbow, a male who was finished spawning and after he was netted and measured he hung out at the stairs like a pet fish for hours. There are quite a few much larger that passed this year and that's why I keep driving up that river.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ard
Sad to hear that they no longer monitor the fish returns, so basically Fit and Game is shooting in the dark, like Dewayne says, once the tourism dies, they will finally wake up.
There are lodges along the river as I go to the cabin that represent multi million dollar investments with float planes and the works. I wouldn't want to be holding one of them if things keep going down hill as they currently (2011 - 2017) have been. Yeah, once we hit rock bottom like all addicts do there will be a call to arms I'd guess.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ia_trouter, mcnerney, ejsell liked this post
Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard View Post
Weirs aren't an attraction, I've become some guy who they like to stop by and shoot the bull so I'm welcomed. Otherwise they don't have the general public there at all. Last time I spent a few hours they passed a 24" rainbow, a male who was finished spawning and after he was netted and measured he hung out at the stairs like a pet fish for hours. There are quite a few much larger that passed this year and that's why I keep driving up that river.
Of course the weirs are just a work station. The general region is the tourist attraction. The water 10 miles from the boat launches seems to get 50%+ of the pressure. Of course you proceed farther for some solitude. If the reasonably easy quality fishing fades for multiple years the tourism problems will start. Which might not be all bad for a local, but when the money goes away it becomes tougher to fix a problem, if money can even fix it.

In no way did I mean to imply your water isn't worth fishing, but it does seem like a time to make some hard decisions that most tourists and locals alike will not be at all pleased with.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, Ard, ejsell liked this post
Old 09-04-2017, 07:44 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi All.
Ard I noticed & watched You-Tube The other night & have lost The Link where The Pebble Mine Issue in Bristol Bay has Resurfaced.
I don't know if anyone here has watched as it it's worth watching as it's a real eye opener.
The Money People are adamant about opening The Mine as Their Exploration records show there is virtually Billions of Dollars worth of Gold & Copper Deposits it's proposed The Mine will be one of The Largest in The US with A Monster Open Cut Pit & Silt Dams which is supposed to Trap all Contaminated Waters as Chemicals are used to Extract The Ores..
As time has progressed The Pebble Company have done lots of Homework & it looks to me as if They have swung many people in the right places onto their side.

We also have had a Problem Locally at The Last Local Coalmine where The Company had a licence to discharge into The River which is The headwaters of The Sydney Catchment.
The problem was company instead of treating The water kept building dams to hold the water then about 2-3 years ago we had massive rains subsequently The dams couldn't hold The waters & it ended polluting The River.
The Mine was closed for 2-3 months during which time Battles were fought & The Mine was given A 13 year Extension then There was appeal which was won so now The fun & Games start again.
Brian