The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floating remote Alaskan waters

Yes, when ever you are using a bush plane to haul you, your gear and your boat to the river, you are going to be on a tight budget weight wise. One easy way to reduce the weight is to get freeze dried food and like you said supplement that with some fresh grilled fish.

Good to hear you guys are splitting the cost of the satellite phone, very wise move.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 PM

100954 will become famous soon enough100954 will become famous soon enough

We spent 7 days in the Alaskan bush and ate fresh, sometimes gourmet, meals every day. The trick that our guide used was to lay out all 20 - 21 meals, then reverse pack them in a cooler, then put the entire cooler in a walk-in freezer for 24 hours. He placed a 2" sheet of styrefoam insulation on top of the food inside the cooler. Each meal was always right on top and to thaw upcoming items he placed them on top of the insulation, so that space (between the insulation and the lid) acted a fridge rather than freezer. Worked great, everything stayed frozen or cold, as wanted- all week. But......because of the weight, the plane made two trips to drop off my wife, the guide, me and all the gear. More money but we sure ate well.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM

cwb124 is on a distinguished road

There will be 4 of us with our fishing gear, camping gear and boats so we're already at 2 trips. $3200-$3400 in bush plane fees alone. Yikes. Plus $1200-$1500 in commercial airfare. I may even bump to 1st class to have the refundable ticket and ability to change as weather changes. Plus 1st class will be nice traveling out of Philadelphia or BWI. Might actually get some sleep on the plane.

The ONLY thing that could put a damper on the trip is several days of rain. I can handle cold, wind, etc. But days of rain is just soul crushing.

What is the expectation of daylight about 150 north of the arctic circle around the 2nd or 3rd week of august? I don't believe it ever gets dark. Just 4 hours of dusk? That will be a trip.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:16 AM

itinerant has a spectacular aura aboutitinerant has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
The ONLY thing that could put a damper on the trip is several days of rain. I can handle cold, wind, etc. But days of rain is just soul crushing.

August is typically the wettest month of the year in Kotzebue, averaging about 2" of rain and at that latitude snow is possible as well.

What is the expectation of daylight about 150 north of the arctic circle around the 2nd or 3rd week of august? I don't believe it ever gets dark. Just 4 hours of dusk? That will be a trip.
Sunrise will be around 0600-0630 and sunset will be around 2300-2330 depending on the time of month, it will be dark enough to need a light source to see well. At that time of year the length of the days changes rapidly with the sun rising about 4 minutes later and setting about 7-9 minutes earlier each day. On a one week trip you will lose about an hour of daylight between your first and last days.

Rick

Last edited by itinerant; 09-07-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM

cwb124 is on a distinguished road

One thing I forgot to ask:

Chest vs. waist waders. Personally, I despise chest waders and only use waist waders to fish. I'm 6'5" and if I have to wade out somewhere over my waist, I am doing something very wrong, so I simply don't. I have a really nice pair of patagonia waist waders and a cheaper Cabelas pair for backup. Do I really need chest waders? Is it more for overall rain proofing my body or do you actually have to wade far/deep to get to the fish? My nice Orvis wading jacket covers my waist waders so water shouldn't run down my pants. Something i'm missing which chest waders?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 AM

GrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding hip/waist/chest waders, my rule of thumb serves me well enough. If I expect the water to be no higher than mid-shin, then I use hippers. If it will be up to my knee to just above it, waist waders, and if I expect a few spots to mid-thigh or crotch, or more importantly if I am not sure then I use chest waders.

Personally, I'd prefer hippers, and my wading pants at worst. That said, you need to plan on unforeseeable high water levels, unseen holes, or deep silt that might have you crouching more than you expect. So it's not so much what you need, but more what you hope you won't encounter.

Just last week I was wading the North Branch of the AuSable which I had never fished. From all I read, all who told me, and always wading cautiously I could have gone with my waist waders... Instead just to be sure I wore my chest waders. A couple spots would have really tested the wisdom of the waist-highs. As it turned out though, I killed my camera drowning it which was in my outer chest pocket which is about level with my lower ribs. Where during the night-time wade that happened I'm not sure, but it happened never the less. Granted, I'm just over 5'10", yet is it worth getting soaked and having wet waders for your trip just because you squat down or kneeled to do something?

f.w.i.w.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM

lak is on a distinguished road

I just returned from floating the Wulik, and you should have a great time..And you will see Bears, not really a problem, but be aware and pick up some bear spray when you get into town. I recommend Jarred Cummings to fly ya out. great outfit and great survice... Bring some some Dolly Lammas and and have fun..outstanding trophy class Dolly fishing and large Grayling.. a float trip of a life time...I agree with everyone about making those bears aware of your presents..make some noise, keep camp clean, and carry bear spray...And we did float up onto a bear in the river, and he wasn't happy, lots of yelling and rowing the other direction until he decided to move on...
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 09-28-2017, 06:07 PM

akfred is on a distinguished road

I have spent lots of time on the Wulik River over the past 30 years. Your choice of the 2nd or 3rd week of August is good if you hope to catch Dolly Varden in full spawning colors. If you can wait until the last week of August or 1st week of September you will also have a decent chance to catch silvery fat nonspawners freshly returned from the sea. It also depends a bit on the parts of the river you plan to float. There are more spawners in the upper reaches. The timing of the fall non spawner overwintering migration is variable. Some years it begins as early as August 10 other years not until mid September. Peak of spawning is around the third week of August.
There is a USGS gauging station near the mouth of Tutak Creek on the Wulik. Google "Wulik River flow" for current flow data. This can be very helpful in planning. The river comes up very rapidly during rain events. If the river is high change your plans. Be sure to pull your rafts high up on the gravel bar for the night and TIE them to something anchored in the ground.
Have a good trip.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, itinerant liked this post