Hump Day !!!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
December 21st means more than just three shopping days left till Christmas, at least it does here. It means that the dive in daylight hours has hit bottom. I can't quote exactly which week or days they are but we go through a period when we are losing almost 5 minutes per day as we build up to this day. That may not strike you as much, five minutes, but when you consider that number by the week it sounds more like between 35 & 40 minutes less time to get anything done (including fish) next week than you have this week and etc.

The upside is that you have only to hold on through the darkness until January 20 and you will begin to realize a little more daylight, a little earlier and later each day. March 20 you are feeling pretty positive about things because you are back past 12 & 12 and gaining nearly 3 minutes 55 seconds each day :cool: Did I mention that by May you'll need to stay up past midnight to see total darkness again?

It's been a tumultuous start for winter here where I'm at. Before Thanksgiving things were relatively cold, cold enough that I could no longer launch a boat due to ice. The wood stove was put in service before Thanksgiving and we had some single digit nights, I was eying my wood piles hoping I had cut and split enough. Then came a big thaw, almost 2 weeks worth of weather where we were seeing high 40's day after day, all the snow on our property melted and spring flowers began to sprout and some Viola's bloomed just a week ago. All the ready work I'd done preparing for an early December run to the cabin proved premature as the winter trails melted and turned to overflow and slush.................. But hey, it's the twenty first and this morning was 19* with an incredible blazing red sunrise so hope springs eternal. Don't be fooled, 19* isn't cold, I can hack that wearing just a fleece and cap. Cold would be -19 and holding for a couple weeks or longer. That would be a good base to go forward from. I mind a 26* day more than I do a -11 degree day because the -11 will be dry while the 26* day will have dampness. I like a good cold day.

What will do to celebrate the Solstice? I'll install a new receiver for the hitch to my freight sled on the Skandic and put another set of angle steel cross members on the bed of that same freight sled today and hope for a little snow. The past couple years have been hard on the freight sled as I hauled tons of railroad ties and many full drums of fuel on it. With loads right up to 2000 pounds strapped to the bed and 75 miles of rough trails to negotiate the sled takes a pounding. The snowmachines are full of fuel and sitting at the north end of the house just waiting for enough depth to get to work. I brought them out and put the Mokai's into the shop over a month ago.......................

Those are hump day thoughts from here folks, it's a great day for me and I feel good about the projects that lay ahead at that cabin on the lake ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I got a little of what I needed to do done..................... I always wonder why I don't do these things while it's warm. Now things are cooling significantly, this morning we had 11 degrees and that makes working on the sleds more difficult. Yesterday I had an unexplained burst of energy and decided to take Boss for a walk. We ended up gone for well over an hour and a half and covered almost 4 miles. I think he was wondering if we were lost after the first mile. Usually we do just under a mile on a trail that leads away on one side of the property and returns through the woods to the south. This time we took to the roads and to my relief we only encountered three cars in the whole circuit. Now it looks as if Nancy has figured out a carpentry project for me so I may not be back to this thread for a while.............

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I could never live in Alaska. The lack of light makes me want to crawl under the covers and not come out until spring.
Already I've noticed that that it's lighter later...
Can't deal with days when the light levels drop off at 3:30

karstopo

Reaction score
Alaska might be tough for me in the winter. What is the latitude where you are, 61 degrees or so north? I lived for several years at 42 degrees north which is still closer to the equator than the pole and the lack of light in the winter got to me. I got outside as much as possible and that helped. Shoveling snow helped. Anything vigorous activity wise helped. Walking in the woods helped. I got some snowshoes and talk about a work out. Sledding with my kids helped. There’s another work out.

The cold didn’t work on me as much as dark wet days. Cold, dark wet near freezing days were worse than snowy days or sunny, but bitter cold days. Sitting around in an office or on the weekend and it’s 35 and raining and there’s just a weak half light, half dark. That’s bad stuff.

The upside is all the nature and wildlife that I imagine Alaska to have in spades. There’s a lot of good and spirit lifting in that. I’d have to have a cast iron stove and a big pile of wood to split with an axe. I guess you know the darkness is coming and sort of make preparations for it and then know it’s going to get better. Hump day!

ptarmigan

Reaction score
The key to dealing with little daylight is to stay busy. Between my job and my two boys, I have no problem with that. Hopefully the temps stay cool and we get some more snow for your trips up the Yetna Ard. This lack of snow is worse than the lack of daylight, with the exception of my bunny hunting which benefits from it. I'm already thinking about spring trout on the Talkeetna and hopeful for a good King return....

boisker

Reaction score
Always cheers me up when the days start to lengthen again... by late January it will stay light late enough for me to get over to the field quickly and get some decent practice casting time... always makes me feel as though the new season isn’t far away... 2 months to really focus on casting before the season starts in mid-March.... not long now:p