Burbot?

cwb124

Reaction score
I will be in Alaska in late August of this year fishing some waters north of Kotzebue. I've read about burbot being around, is there any chance of catching one in rivers while also fishing for dolly/salmon/grayling? Do they move out of the rivers in the summer? If they may be around, what would be a tactic to try and catch one?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Cwb124
I know nothing about the burbot in Alaska.
There are Burgot in Flaming Gorge reservoir and the Green river. Both the Utah and Wyoming Game and fish promote fishing for them to hold their population in check and hold fishing contests in the winter and at night, as they primarily will feed at night or at least they tend to be more active at night, and they use cut bait on jigs.
Here are some videos on how to fish for Burbot:
YouTube

bushak

Reaction score
Burbot fishing is quite popular on the kuskokwim river although I've never heard of anyone doing it using a fly. Most people use blackfish (think sculpin), #3 hook, and an egg sinker similar to how a lot of people fish for catfish. They are a predatory fish though so I'd imagine anything in brown or black, like a wooly bugger, might be the ticket.