It's not warm anymore;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
A return to somewhat normal conditions for January possibly?

It's been below zero now for the past 5 days. In the lower 48 this would cause for much ado on your local news maybe even state of emergency proclamations but here there has been little said. That even though it's been years since I've seen everything and I mean everything covered in a heavy hoar frost.

I admit to being a sissy because my plan was to be at the cabin this whole time however the prospect of taking a 75 mile snowmachine ride at -20 hasn't been very attractive I must admit. It'll have to happen but right now I'm not sure when I'll get underway. Part of the challenge is that by the time you are tracking down the snow around the building you have managed to get pretty cold regardless of how you are outfitted for the trip.

You're kinds cold and the building? Well it'll be covered in frost and in all likelihood colder inside than the outside air temp is. Now it's time for a fire but it'll take 2 whole days to really thaw the place out when it's this cold. I'm thinking I may ride out tomorrow just to inspect things - stay overnight - then return Wednesday. Before I can take an extended stay I need to see what sort of trail exists along the rivers. With the slow and uneven freeze up - earthquakes and lack of deep snow I'm expecting a rough trail at the least. Mapping out a plan to travel as smoothly as possible is important because before I can just go and hang around for a couple weeks I have to pull the freight sled out with me. The sled carries supplies and that most important commodity, Boss. Boss is old now and the idea of pounding him over mile after mile of rough ice and berms is out of the question. The sled pulls and rides smoothly but when the substrate is in horrible condition nothing rides smooth on it...…..

Thus I must man up and take a ride, it promises to be a cold one I think.

ejsell

Reaction score
Still need a dislike button, I'm not a fan of that kind of cold. I spent a few hours this afternoon looking for steelhead, it was in the mid 40's but the air is very damp and the wind picked up cutting right through me. I'm still feeling it a couple hour later. No thanks on the negative numbers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

Reaction score
It was in the 70's here in SC today where I live. :D I guess you get used to the temps, and I used to like getting out in the cold when I was younger, but not too much now.

Plenty of nice places here Ard if you ever get tired of them cold temps in AK! ;)

jbcissell

Reaction score
66 here in North Mississippi today. Yesterday I rode my road bike in shorts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cpiercem

Reaction score
That is indeed a bummer! Most years here in Idaho at a mile high we get a couple of weeks of below zero weather. Usually hits a low of -20, but I have seen a few years that we hit -30 for a day or so. And no, neither the news or the weather people mention it much. Meantime New York gets a sprinkle of snow and the front pages are covered with it. :D :rolleyes:

Whether it is usual or not that extreme cold really stinks! Take care, and be safe. It's easy to lose extremities or your life very quickly at those temps. Stuff at your cabin can wait. ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Cindy,

I don't mind it terribly because it is very low humidity with the cold. I'm more likely to feel cold when it's +20 and breezy before a snow. Ten or more years ago this was very normal but we've been a trend of way too warm winters for about 8 in a row. Today had a high of -11 here at home and my big project for the day was plugging in my truck.

Still not sure if I'll drive out there tomorrow, may not, it's not like I have to...…….

bumble54

Reaction score
Winter?, what winter?, here we seem to have gone straight from autumn (fall) to spring, Onions and garlic are sprinting away in the garden and the spinach is really going strong, problem is the weeds are also sprinting away, where's that hoe?.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I was out on the boat past midnight here! Last night's low was 46. We have had a tremendous amount of rain though. The lake is 3' above full pool and I was dodging logs left and right - which can be dangerous with no moon.

karstopo

Reaction score
Glad to hear things are cooling off up in Alaska. 63 degrees here this morning at 7:30, that’s about the average high for these parts this time of year. Should climb to 73 later today. More seasonable highs in the 50s and 60s expected for tomorrow through next week.

No serious frost here yet. My garden is loving the no extreme temperature swings, temperate weather. Getting lots of nice lettuce and cabbage family type of produce. The blood oranges have lots of blood in them with some November and December cool to near freezing temperatures. The gulf shelf water is a bit cooler than average and that helps the flounder spawn. We just need more sun to dry things out some and that’s the forecast for the next week. Planted snow peas Sunday and they should love the cool conditions if that pattern continues.

bocast

Reaction score
We're just happy for that wood pile guys, the little stove is running hard and we're warm here.
I fondly remember the Wyoming cold. After checking on the horses in the barn, making sure they were well fed and had plenty of water, I would return to the house and sit myself down in the heavenly warmth of the little jotul wood stove. In the pitch dark just before dawn, its glass front bathed the room in an gentle, vibrant orange glow. My Labrador snored in peaceful comfort on one side of me. On the other side sat our bunny rabbit, a wild and beautiful princess of Wyoming who had decided the life of a pampered house diva was preferable to dodging the eagles, owls and coyotes. I could hear her chittering in contentment. At those times that stove and woodpile temporarily became more loved than my flyrods...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Redrock

Reaction score
My other major hobby, besides piddling, has always been running. As a product of the Deep South, I love to run in the snow. It’s pretty rare where my main home is located.

One afternoon up at my old place near Ft. Shaw MT it was snowing with a slight breeze. I set out on a 10 mile out and back. It was great on the way out. Fluffy snow, quiet, no traffic, etc. I made the turn and the “breeze” hit me. I arrive home with six inch snoticles and my hair frozen in spikes (I had gotten warm and taken off the beanie). It was an amazing run, but I wasn’t in a hurry to repeat it. And, I learned to respect Montana weather.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I fondly remember the Wyoming cold. After checking on the horses in the barn, making sure they were well fed and had plenty of water, I would return to the house and sit myself down in the heavenly warmth of the little jotul wood stove. In the pitch dark just before dawn, its glass front bathed the room in an gentle, vibrant orange glow. My Labrador snored in peaceful comfort on one side of me. On the other side sat our bunny rabbit, a wild and beautiful princess of Wyoming who had decided the life of a pampered house diva was preferable to dodging the eagles, owls and coyotes. I could hear her chittering in contentment. At those times that stove and woodpile temporarily became more loved than my flyrods...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Memories, that what these threads can do is to bring out memories. Our stove has a clear front for which I'm grateful, you can see when you need draft or not. I have a weather station out back with a wind gauge and that helps a lot too when adjusting the stove. It was 0 this morning when I got up and around so it's warming up.

ejsell

Reaction score
Negative 10 today with wind gusts 30 - 40 mph. Wind chills -20 to -30. Plus we got around 7" of snow saturday drifting to 2-3 ft.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
Had a chance yesterday to drive past a stretch of stream I fish-frozen over! Have not seen that in years. The temp at the time was 3 degrees. As I type this it's -1 outdoors, forecasters are saying a high of 37 on Wednesday and I'm planning on going trout fly fishing-not ice fishing! Hopefully the warmer temps will break the ice up some.

Denny

Last edited: