Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default It's not warm anymore;

A return to somewhat normal conditions for January possibly?

It's been below zero now for the past 5 days. In the lower 48 this would cause for much ado on your local news maybe even state of emergency proclamations but here there has been little said. That even though it's been years since I've seen everything and I mean everything covered in a heavy hoar frost.

I admit to being a sissy because my plan was to be at the cabin this whole time however the prospect of taking a 75 mile snowmachine ride at -20 hasn't been very attractive I must admit. It'll have to happen but right now I'm not sure when I'll get underway. Part of the challenge is that by the time you are tracking down the snow around the building you have managed to get pretty cold regardless of how you are outfitted for the trip.

You're kinds cold and the building? Well it'll be covered in frost and in all likelihood colder inside than the outside air temp is. Now it's time for a fire but it'll take 2 whole days to really thaw the place out when it's this cold. I'm thinking I may ride out tomorrow just to inspect things - stay overnight - then return Wednesday. Before I can take an extended stay I need to see what sort of trail exists along the rivers. With the slow and uneven freeze up - earthquakes and lack of deep snow I'm expecting a rough trail at the least. Mapping out a plan to travel as smoothly as possible is important because before I can just go and hang around for a couple weeks I have to pull the freight sled out with me. The sled carries supplies and that most important commodity, Boss. Boss is old now and the idea of pounding him over mile after mile of rough ice and berms is out of the question. The sled pulls and rides smoothly but when the substrate is in horrible condition nothing rides smooth on it.....

Thus I must man up and take a ride, it promises to be a cold one I think.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes cpiercem, clsmith131, spm, bocast, dennyk, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: It's not warm anymore;

Just to update it looks like a high of -11 at home here today...…………. No I'm not fishing.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

4. Likes cpiercem, dennyk liked this post

Still need a dislike button, I'm not a fan of that kind of cold. I spent a few hours this afternoon looking for steelhead, it was in the mid 40's but the air is very damp and the wind picked up cutting right through me. I'm still feeling it a couple hour later. No thanks on the negative numbers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Likes cpiercem liked this post

You need to sell some more weighted leaders and save up for a helicopter.

Sunny and mid 50s again today. Working in a light jacket, or no jacket for the past few weeks.

8. Likes Ard, rockriver liked this post

It was in the 70's here in SC today where I live. I guess you get used to the temps, and I used to like getting out in the cold when I was younger, but not too much now.

Plenty of nice places here Ard if you ever get tired of them cold temps in AK!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

10. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

We're just happy for that wood pile guys, the little stove is running hard and we're warm here.

12. Likes karstopo, cpiercem liked this post
  13. Default Re: It's not warm anymore;

66 here in North Mississippi today. Yesterday I rode my road bike in shorts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That is indeed a bummer! Most years here in Idaho at a mile high we get a couple of weeks of below zero weather. Usually hits a low of -20, but I have seen a few years that we hit -30 for a day or so. And no, neither the news or the weather people mention it much. Meantime New York gets a sprinkle of snow and the front pages are covered with it.

Whether it is usual or not that extreme cold really stinks! Take care, and be safe. It's easy to lose extremities or your life very quickly at those temps. Stuff at your cabin can wait.
    Cindy

15. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Cindy,

I don't mind it terribly because it is very low humidity with the cold. I'm more likely to feel cold when it's +20 and breezy before a snow. Ten or more years ago this was very normal but we've been a trend of way too warm winters for about 8 in a row. Today had a high of -11 here at home and my big project for the day was plugging in my truck.

Still not sure if I'll drive out there tomorrow, may not, it's not like I have to...…….

17. Likes cpiercem, ejsell liked this post

Winter?, what winter?, here we seem to have gone straight from autumn (fall) to spring, Onions and garlic are sprinting away in the garden and the spinach is really going strong, problem is the weeds are also sprinting away, where's that hoe?.

19. Likes ejsell liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast