Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  45
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Remember the Father & Son Poachers?

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post

I’m not sure if the dad appearing to be affluent ( not that having a 26’ power boat is a sign of affluence as tons of folks have something similar and owe more on the boats than they personally are financially worth) has much to do with it. I guess it takes away any supposed and fallacious justification that the offender might have had in his mind such as trying to put food on the table or get a valuable hide to sell. Or maybe that was his idea, shoot the bear, sell the hide, let’s pay off this expensive boat. Poor, rich, in between, there’s no excuse for what they did, especially the father.
    That is exactly why I mentioned the need for an acceptable boat before you can even go out on the Sound. If I were mad I could run to the Islands in my ATEC on a perfectly calm sea but would never try that. I made mention of the boat because here in Alaska it costs a lot of money to get to remote places. The claim that it is subsistence hunting when you have to travel from Anchorage (for instance) to Prince William Sound to do the hunt is a false claim. I think of the people who take an RV and a pair of 4 wheelers down to Kenai to do dip netting because they need 75 or 100 sockeyes for food. That party is about over too I believe with last years crash of Kenai Sockeye numbers the future don't look good if you bought that RV just to go dip net

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes k_e_v, karstopo, mcnerney liked this post

Ard,

This is a tragic story of a father and son pair that should serve as a lesson to everyone. Know the laws and assume you are being recorded at all times. These guys got off easy in my mind.....but will be a stinging reminder for these two for quite a while.

On an unrelated note.....Right or wrong assumption on my part, but I know Alaska as a subsistence hunting and fishing state. For curiosity sake, what would you say is the % of families that hunt and/or fish to sustain food for their families. How will the salmon closures effect the folks in AK? Are people becoming nervous that this may be a long term cycle with serious implications?

Thanks

ft09- Mike

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

4. Likes mcnerney, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Wow, this is such a tragic story I have a hard time dealing with scum bags like this.
    Larry

Blog Entries

Hi Larry,

This was just the follow up, I had posted the original article back in early August 2018 when the arrest and charges were made public.

I am still watching and waiting to see what became of the guys who were caught with the 85 or 90 salmon they had netted from Cottonwood Creek right close to our home here. That's the one that stopped me from making the Small Stream Tactics video because there was way too much Law Enforcement attention on the creek after the poaching incident.

When I find out what the sentences are for that I'll post the update. It may be a complex thing because 2 of the 4 were from out of state and I think one was a Russian, no kidding on that.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by denver1911 View Post
    Dang Ard. Remind me to never fish with you because I might want to keep a couple .. i.e. prey on the defenseless creatures. And if you’ve ever heard that I am a hunter .. please forget that part if you ever see me and I’m on fire. The deer I may or may not have killed certainly were defenseless against me.
    I think you missed the obvious anti-poaching message. IMO it's OK to get a little emotional about it if you care about the resource. (which I am confident you do too) I know Ard pretty well. He may not admit it, but he likely would indeed pizz on them if they were on fire, but they sure would not enjoy the stern lecture they received during the ride to the burn unit. This stuff ticks him off It angers me as well. I haven't spent quite a month there and already observed my fair share of AK poaching. Crowds in hot spots or not, the state is still the wild west of illegal fishing.

8. Likes k_e_v liked this post

They should have lost their hunting privileges for life IMO. The son was a minor at the time of the crime and that's probably why his sentence was so light. Remember this too, most people don't get caught the first time they commit a crime.

10. Likes ejsell liked this post

Seems like a light sentence to me. At a minimum, both should have a lifetime ban on hunting in Alaska, confiscation of their stuff, and significant jail time.

Community service, LOL, isn't much of a deterrent. I hate poachers of all types.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Sentence should have been much heavier for these scumbags
    The addiction all began on the Cimmaron River in New Mexico...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Seems like a light sentence to me. At a minimum, both should have a lifetime ban on hunting in Alaska, confiscation of their stuff, and significant jail time.

Community service, LOL, isn't much of a deterrent. I hate poachers of all types.
    I agree that the forfeiture of legal hunting privileges should have been a lifetime ban. The fines and loss of gear along with the 90 days (if he really has to serve them) seems proper to me. But allowing these people to continue to legally purchase - carry firearms seems misguided since the crime involved the use of firearms. Millions of Americans are prohibited from purchase or carry of firearms for crimes that did not involve the use of firearms. These people seem to have displayed wanton disrespect for law and committed a rather violent crime while in possession of and using guns to commit the crime itself. That part does not seem to be a good judgment.

14. Likes ejsell, ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Millions of Americans are prohibited from purchase or carry of firearms for crimes that did not involve the use of firearms. ..
    Yup, I've had a couple friends that can't legally hunt or even target shoot 20 years later in life because they did something stupid when they were 19, and got a felony that did not involve anything like violence.

16. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast