King Salmon Research from the river;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
While you were sorely missing me here I was away to the cabin doing the essential spring cleaning and land maintenance for a few days :)

With a couple long days of cutting, more cutting, vacuuming and dock anchoring under my belt I wearily climbed into the ATEC for the long drive back to the boat launch. Other than the shear number of spruce trees down in the creek that connects the cabin on the lake to the river the 4 1/2 mile drive out the creek was uneventful. The usual suspects were spotted with the many ducks that flushed ahead of my coming but no big game was seen. I did see a cow moose and at least one calf along the river a few days back as I made my way out. Other notable observations were the almost complete lack of seagull presence along the sandbars as I drove. Another thing that stood out was that I saw only one eagle on the rivers both coming & going which encompasses a 150 mile round trip so that is a very noticeable absence. In previous years one would note hundreds of seagulls and at least 18 to 24 eagles along this expansive trek. Whether this is the result of a poor Hooligan (a species of smelt) run or not I cannot say but the normal spring brings the smelt by late May and the gulls and king salmon follow along. That migration of species triggers eagles, gulls and other wildlife into the first big feed of the year here but I saw little evidence of this...

The department of fish & game used to operate 3 sets of fish wheel counting and sampling stations along the 2 rivers I travel to get to and from the cabin. At this time there is but one and it is located along the main stem of the Susitna River with one wheel and station on each side of the river. Please excuse me for not taking pictures of the entire station as the photos came as an after thought to me as I sat visiting with the technicians. On my next trip I will shoot some video so you can all see how these contraptions work...

As the fish travel along each side of the river headed upstream they encounter a weir that stretches from the shore for about 15 yards to a small barge which is anchored by mooring lines to the shore further upstream. The wheel's baskets catch a sampling of what is passing through the chute at the end of the weir. Those fishes are then automatically channeled into a holding pen where they can be netted and examined. Some of these sampling stations also employ s sonar to get a better picture of numbers while the wheel and its baskets catch the samples.

Soon as I pulled up one of the guys was wrestling with a salmon in the tub. Naturally I called out in my best Yosemite Sam voice, "What the hell are you doing to that thar fish"? And of course that brought a smile to both of their faces as they knew a moment of levity had arrived in my form :

Once the fish was under control I remembered I had a camera.... Duh.

Many of the fish they had recorded this day were jack Fish, meaning they were second year salmon who for unknown reasons return after only one year at sea? This return , for Pacific salmon is a fatal decision because once they have reentered the fresh water environs they are doomed and will ultimately die by late August, there's no going back!

What you see here is a 'fin clip' the resulting specimen is I am told ground up into a pulp and then subjected to genetic testing to establish the origin of this particular fish.

He didn't like that!

The fin specimen;

Scales are also collected from adults at least appearing to be 3 year fish.

Scales are examined with a microscope and growth ridges are counted much the same as tree rings demonstrate the age of a tree the scales age the fish.

Large and small a certain number of the samplings are tagged with a micro chip that will be read by various sensors along rivers and creeks and so determine where sampled fish end up.

Chipped fish also have a visual tag as seen here.

Here you see a fish of around 14 to 15 pound being released after sampling.

The following series of photos shows the largest fish that wandered in while I was there. I had to leave sooner than I wanted due to thunder showers closing in on the valley.......

I would guesstimate that one at 30 - 33 pounds, a very fine 4 year fish that one!

I had to leave as you could see the thunderheads growing upriver where I had another 15 miles to travel so off I went.

For anyone who ever took the river tour with me, people from Switzerland, Germany, Portugal, France, Canada and many American States this spot was my ace in the hole! As I would drive the final miles of river I always called out 'to get your cameras ready'! "We are approaching the most rare wildlife photo op of this entire trip"

Then without notice I hug tight to the right bank, then a hard left turn and we speed 150 yards across the channel! Passing just below the point of a large sandbar island I shout out, "There they are!" "On the right"!

Flamingo Island!

Next trip I'll bring along my contribution to the flock and proudly plant it among the group. Everyone has always got a laugh out of my corny joke :)

Last thing of interest was another couple of miles upriver. A swarm of Arctic Terns was on and flying around some islands.

The bird you see just to the left of the sun had just been perched on my head!

Weird indeed! I was traveling at 27 mph upriver and that Tern began following me. He was able to hover in front at speed, he stayed over my head making several attempts to land. Then he finally landed and was riding there until I raised the camera and tried to get the picture. He then took off but fortunately I caught him as he dropped behind.............

Never before and probably never again.

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did the ride.

Ard

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Something I omitted is that the changes in the research have been prompted by a dramatic decline in salmon numbers over the past ten years. 20 years ago they just counted to establish & confirm abundance, today the catch and tag program is all about knowing where they spawn. Identifying spawning areas is all part of protecting the species from disappearing from this region of Alaska.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Good thread Ard. At first I thought this was another case of catching poachers in the act with the king season closed. :) Great to see them doing research to make the best of this situation. The AK flamingo herd is looking healthy too!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nancy wants 2 for the yard here so I have to get 3 so I have one for the flock. The Tern landing on my head was the highlight of the trip though.

I'm eager to go back to the study platforms but have work here at home which will delay that. I love that stuff, here's another educational post for those interested. Fish Counting by Weir
Click those images for enlargements :)

Here is another that actually shows you a fish wheel in operation; Tracking The Kings

There are quite a few articles I've produced for the sake of providing a look at how things are done here, I hope you enjoy those few.

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I know you love it. It's interesting for sure. Most all fish research is to me as well. The weir counting system seems by far more accurate than any other method. A still water net surveys might occur in June, then not again for five years and the next time in August. The conclusions are a reach IMO. You are getting solid data up there. That's good because it's not a small expense.

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Any indications as to the size and quality of the King run thus far?

Looks like medical issues will keep me from checking the Naknek in person this year.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on what I saw and heard from the guys there is once again an inordinate number of Jacks being seen and sampled. While I was present the baskets scooped up just 2 mature (4 year fish) and 7 Jacks of about 1 1/2 pound at most. The 1 1/2 pound fish are obviously last June's Smolts who have for unknown reasons returned already. The river weirs remain in very low numbers with one still well under 100 fish of any size. I would remind that when a count occurs the numbers reflect all salmon regardless of size. Due to that fact here in South Central AK. numbers can be quite deceiving.

I saw one salmon about 1/8 mile up the creek that leads to my cabin, one. That's 70 miles up the rivers where I spotted it. I know where to look for them along the big rivers, while the size of the river can be intimidating if you know where to look for them it's easy to determine presence or not.
I don't know if you ever read my personal assessment regarding this crisis or not. There is a reason that numbers remain sustainable in rivers like the Naknek but if the pressure there continues to increase year after year and the anglers harvest the catch the situation will eventually change there as well.

For all the explaining you have read, all the various probable causes, try to rationalize how there are so few on mainland / populated Alaska but the numbers remain consistent over on the Peninsula?

Meadowlark

Reaction score
I experienced large numbers of jacks on the Goodnews river a couple of years ago. No one could explain the reason...but it isn't a good thing as once in freshwater those fish are lost forever to the reproductive chain.

Have you or anyone seen any research on that as a possible contributor to the population decline?

No doubt, human populations are very much negatively correlated to numbers of kings.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I experienced large numbers of jacks on the Goodnews river a couple of years ago. No one could explain the reason...but it isn't a good thing as once in freshwater those fish are lost forever to the reproductive chain.

Have you or anyone seen any research on that as a possible contributor to the population decline?

No doubt, human populations are very much negatively correlated to numbers of kings.
I know I have an opinion on the subject after a couple three trips.

-There is intense competition for annual harvest quotas. Commercial fisherman while they are in the salt, and natives and sport fisherman in the rivers.

-AKFG does make some attempt to alter rules according to seasonal run numbers, but until recently it looked insufficient. All I saw was sportfisherman killing every salmon they legally could. Go to any reasonable easy accessible water and it is flat crowded like famous water on the lower 48. It's worse actually IMO. Guides taking clients to the natal spawning grounds etc. Not sure if it is closed this year, but there has traditionally been an open season for dip netting salmon. I don't get that at all for anything other than the most prolific salmon species.

-I've seen data on the average annual temps in Anchorage. About +4F over the past 50-60 years. That's pretty crazy. I don't know the reason as it's a lot larger increase than the world overall. That can't be helping.

-There is some poaching going on because AK is the wild west in some ways. Probably just a small factor.

-Excessive jacks seems like a somewhat new problem.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

The phenomena of the mass return of Jack salmon has everyone baffled who I have ever spoke with including those technicians on the platform Tuesday. They are long time fish & game people and had no clue.

That leaves someone like myself to deduce things based on my collective albeit limited knowledge of species behavior. That said, here's my take on Jacks.

When salmon smolt exit a river after up to 1 - 1 1/2 years of development in the natal waters they travel in loose groups as they go to sea. When they reach the brackish waters of the estuaries they will hesitate for some time as they acclimate to the new saline environment.

Salmon, by nature are a gregarious animal and as they acclimate and when they continue on into the salt water they tend to form large schools of age specific fishes. This mass of age specific fishes will move about near the mouth of their natal river as they locate food sources and they will learn the practices needed for successful group or school feeding using whichever food sources they encounter.

Being a creature that is predisposed to being gregarious right up to the point when they have reentered the fresh water to breed they may very well be attracted to other large groups of salmon. At this time of year any groups of Jacks in the 1 - 2 pound size range which are in the path of returning adult salmon may very well be attracted by the prospect of joining this group.

Remember that all this is conjecture and not collected data... If in fact a school of Jacks joins in and follows adults back toward the rivers they will indeed be done for.

Myself, I would be collecting tissue samples from as many Jacks as I could afford to process for DNA analysis to determine whether they are in fact native to the rivers in which they have appeared. If they are native to the run & river I would then expect this to indicate that they remain and feed at or near the mouth of the rivers for too lone with each passing year. Why is that? That would be a second puzzle needing solved.

What I think may not be correct but my thoughts on these problems seem to be isolated musings of someone with just enough education to become wrong about things. I don't meet other fishermen who have even developed a theory so I am alone with my thoughts here...

Meadowlark

Reaction score
...I don't meet other fishermen who have even developed a theory so I am alone with my thoughts here...

Thanks for your thoughts. I have found it interesting that some otherwise "all knowing" folks go totally blank when asked about this.

I have to wonder if it isn't somehow correlated to the decline in returns of adult fish (specifically males). I know I get in trouble when I relate fishing to cattle...but very young calves, i.e. calves not capable of breeding, will follow a cow in heat if a breeding age bull is not available and attempt that which they can not do. I have to wonder if these young jacks are wanna bes who see a chance at glory but instead are actually committing suicide.

That's my 2 cents.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That ^ may very well paly a part in this business. I do believe that female salmon as they begin to mature sexually emit pheromones which are indeed attractant to males. So I would not be quick to discount your theory... but unless we could through sampling of the Jack population determine that they are all males we will have to hold the idea as just another possibility.

Regardless of whether the Jacks follow based on your idea it would remain a fact that those young fish have not strayed far enough from the natal river to avoid having contact with the returning adults.

On the topic of all knowing people going silent on this question I've been fishing long enough to say that many of the all knowing seem to hit a wall after we get past the how to catch them question. Being a guide I have met many other guides, speaking very generally I can say that the collective knowledge of environmental science - fish biology - habitat viability and a host of other topics is at or near zero. They do however seem to know where to go to catch a limit. My own insights and opinions have been the fuel for many an engaging discussion with my guests for years and I am thankful for that. I like to think that the fellows remember me for more than being the guy who netted their fish :)

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Any fool can net a fish, LOL but a guide that studies fish and knows them...that is something special to me. Hopefully one day we can hook up in Alaska.