Not so good in South Central...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Monday I was trout fishing so of course caught 7 kings :weight_li Hard work for a guy looking for easy game but that's how it went. Yesterday (Friday the solstice) I took a boat ride with some visitors up a river where just last year on the 21'st there were a few salmon around. Yesterday? Nada, none, ziltch, nothing, none seen, non-existent, nice clear water so it was obvious that in ten miles of water I didn't pass a single salmon.

Sorry to keep bearing bad news but it is what it is right now.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm at the cabin, have been since Wednesday, it's 87iin the shade here.

There's another fire burning up near Talkeetna since yesterday,very warm here again today.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw that heat wave on the news last night, you are warmer up there then we are in western Wyoming!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Smart phone Larry, I can post from the cabin. We have 2 decent thermometers here, one inside one outside. At 5 PM it was 93 in the shade and when the sun got on it the thing read 106!

This is our third week of this, I can work outside until noon then we go dive off the dock. Last I heard was that the fire near Talkeetna is going hard. Only good thing is low wind speeds, if the.wind picks up it's gonna be a long one. Nancy caught a plane into Skwentna at 11 this morning and she said they had to climb up to 3500 to get above the smoke.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'm at the cabin, have been since Wednesday, it's 87iin the shade here.

There's another fire burning up near Talkeetna since yesterday,very warm here again today.
I can vouch for the intensity of the July sun there. Is there enough snow left at higher elevations to make to make the "creeks" rise? I don't know if they have long-term weather records for anything other than the major AK cities, but sounds like Anchorage's all-time record high is going to be eclipsed this weekend. I hope it cools off for you soon. It continues to rain every few days here in the Midwest.

spm

Reaction score
Smart phone Larry, I can post from the cabin. We have 2 decent thermometers here, one inside one outside. At 5 PM it was 93 in the shade and when the sun got on it the thing read 106!

This is our third week of this, I can work outside until noon then we go dive off the dock. Last I heard was that the fire near Talkeetna is going hard. Only good thing is low wind speeds, if the.wind picks up it's gonna be a long one. Nancy caught a plane into Skwentna at 11 this morning and she said they had to climb up to 3500 to get above the smoke.
Ard,

You are hotter there than I am here in Missouri. Amazing.

steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard

Those temperatures are just incredible, hard for me to imagine it getting that warm up there.

We are finally getting some warmer weather, here is what they are forecasting the next ten days here in Pinedale, WY:

westcoast

Reaction score
I have been waiting for the last 2 weeks to go and explore the Cariboo - Chilcotin area down here in BC, but it's been raining and cold. Everything is upside down this year.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I can say that it is very hot . The glacial rivers are raging as the ice melts . The rivers that aren't fed by ice are dropping. I'll go fishing when I get home.

Fairbanks fires are sending smoke this way, Kenai fire is also sending smoke here .

The lake is cool, no fireworks, no campfires, everyone is being cool here

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We came back in last night / early morning Monday to beat the heat of boat travel during the day. Every day there the heat intensified as I have not seen before. It has been very dry ever since the snow melted with no rain since early May throughout my area and beyond. The past 20 days have been building upon each preceding day with each a bit warmer. Yesterday it became more than we could handle, think in terms of 92 in the shade and the sun just burning things up. I don't know how they measure temps in the sun but once it gets on our thermometer the thing reads 103...……

Rivers are running very high but remember, that water level is being driven by those melting glaciers that we all know are actually getting bigger. Right. I drove back arriving at the boat launch at 2 AM. because of the heat.

While there I dropped and cleaned up 7 dead spruce average height of 70 foot. No burning so all dead limbs loaded and hauled back the trail that leads for 1/2 mile back through the land. Brutal work in this heat, according to my fancy bathroom scale I came home 5 pounds lighter than when I left last week. Soon you won't be able to make fun of me anymore.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
We came back in last night / early morning Monday to beat the heat of boat travel during the day. Every day there the heat intensified as I have not seen before. It has been very dry ever since the snow melted with no rain since early May throughout my area and beyond. The past 20 days have been building upon each preceding day with each a bit warmer. Yesterday it became more than we could handle, think in terms of 92 in the shade and the sun just burning things up. I don't know how they measure temps in the sun but once it gets on our thermometer the thing reads 103...……

Rivers are running very high but remember, that water level is being driven by those melting glaciers that we all know are actually getting bigger. Right. I drove back arriving at the boat launch at 2 AM. because of the heat.

While there I dropped and cleaned up 7 dead spruce average height of 70 foot. No burning so all dead limbs loaded and hauled back the trail that leads for 1/2 mile back through the land. Brutal work in this heat, according to my fancy bathroom scale I came home 5 pounds lighter than when I left last week. Soon you won't be able to make fun of me anymore.
I don't know how it is properly measured either, but one of my jobs on deployment was to monitor it with a fancy electronic thermometer. I remember the hottest days were 110-115F in the shade. Hang the thermometer head high of a clothes line and 157F. I don't think a human can actually survive 157F so you didn't stand in the sun or do much at all physical during mid-day.

Your AK sun is intense too. Maybe only for a month, but I clearly remember it will beat you up when the temp is only 80F. Not to mention mid day seems 12 hours long in AK summer, because it actually is. One particular day stands out as particularly exhausting and I was wading in cold water most of the time. Glad you got some work done tough. Those are some monster old growth spruce you are cleaning up. Some VERY old trees.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It was really tough going Dewayne, the trees that needed put down were all within striking distance of the cabin or they were a threat to the footprint of the new storage building. I'm not building where the Shelter Logic was erected. The new mini barn is going on flat cleared ground near where that trail goes down to the bog. Once I decided on the location then everywhere I looked there was a dead spruce that could fall on the new build so down they went. Two or more years dead and dry as punk, very dirty work with all the dry branches.

I'm glad it's done and hoping for some rain before I head back next week. It's so hot and dry that I was paranoid just cooking a steak on that tiny grill I use on the front porch. Afraid that if I made smoke someone may come down the lake to investigate.

Looks like we're headed to a different remote river Tuesday or Wednesday for trout & grayling so I may not be around for a while again. Neither my fishing friend or I have ever fished this one so should be fun.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Yeah those dead trees are definitely too large to leave standing near your buildings. It would take years of work to fix the damage they could cause. Leave a few dozen and one of them is gonna wreak havoc eventually. Glad you are getting off to some new water. You better before you are dealing with low water. I'll persevere in the Iowa rain forest and flood plane. If it gets a little warmer I think I'll get a pet alligator. :)