Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oars, Whoever Would Have Thought?

Not surprising additional stove bolts and cap nuts were necessary when a big guy like you is at the oars

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Ah, my French friend!

Good to hear from you, we are headed to the ocean tomorrow to try the salmon in the salt water.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes mcnerney, jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Updating this one,

After we got some rain I was able to test out the 'drift boat approach' and can't imagine why I didn't do this years ago! When I sit on the dry storage bin at the bow of the boat my weight acts as a counter balance to that heavy Honda outboard. This has the boat floating almost perfectly level in the water and it appears to draft at about 4"

So much easier to come downriver without any wake or noise and slip into the tops of the runs those steelhead and trout inhabit by fall. For the first time ever I had a guy able to fish a streamer while we drifted from run to run and he caught some trout as we passed through.

It probably sounds silly but I've been parking and walking for years. Sometimes I fish so far downstream from the boat I lose sight of it. The result is being really tired at days end. This fall I never went farther than a couple hundred yards then just went back and drifted down with great control.

Love the oars.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

6. Likes photoguy, ejsell liked this post

I was in Scotland, rowing a small boat on a loch on a windy day when I dropped an oar into the water and the wind blew me out of reach of it. I looked around and saw another rowboat plying the loch, occupied by a rower and a couple of ladies, and with a spare pair of oars poking up out of the gunwales.

I yelled, "Hey man, can you loan me one of those oars?"

The rower yelled back, "That's my mother and sister, you rotten ba**ard!"

Sorry... I don't get the opportunity to tell that one very often.
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

8. Likes photoguy, ejsell liked this post

Nice looking boat Ard.

I've been around boats all my life and have only encountered a few with jet drives in the ocean though you tend to see some of them on lakes. This is the first outboard jet-drive I've seen and it makes perfect sense when I think about the potential disadvantages of a prop on a river. How's the 'reverse'- is there any?

Blog Entries

Reverse is good with them provided you have some depth. In order to get the highest thrust level you must have the foot of the motor trimmed all the way down. I use it very little actually because of that fact.

I almost sprang for a new Extreme Shallow inboard a couple years ago but some research regarding the impeller system changed my mind. They have a 200 hp Mercury V6 in them and do many things well and they have a roof which would be great on the long trips. The outboard allows me to work on both the motor head if needed and to service or repair the drive unit when needed. Because of that I stay with the open hull outboard and beside that this one has no monthly payments, an Extreme starts around $50,000.00

11. Likes photoguy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12