Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  39
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Am I Home?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why Am I Home?

I remember telling a forum member this 11 years ago. Shortly after the Alaska forums were created a fella was messaging me about coming to fish someday. He said he wanted to come someday, maybe when he retired. I told him this, I said "This ain't like a bottle of wine buddy, it isn't getting better with age". That was 11 years ago, sometimes it sucks if you are right about something.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Your birch trees are doing what they do when they are drought stressed. They drop their leaves and try to go dormant while they ride it out. Your's will likely be OK provided they have a few reasonably normal precipitation years soon. I've observed this in MN during hot dry years. In the southern end of their range the borers would get them while they are stressed. They aren't native where I live, but I have grown perhaps fifty of them over the years, and researched their needs. They do exactly what your trees are doing now when it gets bad. They aren't dead, but they aren't happy either. There is a limit to how much heat and drought they can withstand for sure. Your's will likely throw out an extreme amount of catkins next spring as the species survival mechanism kicks in. Just as pine, spruce and other conifers over produce cones when they "feel" threatened.

Blog Entries

I know about trees going dormant Dewayne, you might have missed the part where I said 3 of the past 4 summers have been so dry the same thing happened. The ones with zero leaves are dead buddy, dead for real and not coming back sad to say.

We spent the day making potato salad, fried chicken and some corn on the cob, life is good

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

5. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Yeah if they put no leaves out this past spring they are done. They can't take a nap for that long.

I floated the Wulik river NE of Kotzebue, AK last year. I followed a few guys who did that identical trip this year, but they did it 3rd or 4th week of July. They were slammed with an 85-90 degree heat wave. They were MISERABLE. Mosquitoes were unbearable. I was shocked.

Blog Entries

The Wulik River and Kotzebue are quite far to the Northwest of my area and I have never been there. However I am not surprised to hear that conditions are faltering there as well. Here in the greater South Central area things remain the same save for the water being a bit lower than when the thread originated. I'm about to talk with management (my wife) regarding an overnighter up north to grayling fish. If this is approved I'll be absent through Wednesday. I can always go alone but it's more fun if she goes along.

9. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hope you can go fishing with NancyWe had a few hours' rain yesterday evening....not enough to water the yard

11. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

If she says no, then head down to the Wasilla Piggly Wiggly and pick up a 12 pack of Alaskan Ale because you're making us sad.

Seriously though, hope you get some rain soon before it's steelhead time. There's no fixing the salmon runs this year.

Blog Entries

I have been greenlighted and will sign off and get the gear changed out, no need for spey rods where I'm headed Gonna throw an air bed in the back of the truck and make a day of it and I promise to take photos. I've been really bad about that this year....

14. Likes ia_trouter, jpbfly, ejsell, Joey Bagels liked this post

My friends in Anchorage are telling me the skies are thick with smoke from nearby and not so nearby fires. Time will tell if this is the new normal, but sadly our government is so paralyzed and interested only in serving their corporate lords that I donít see any hope for resources to ameliorate and adequately plan for conditions if they deteriorate further (or even just stay the same). Between the ill-informed that willingly voted the con-man into office and the career politicians willing to say and do anything to keep in power, our system is well and truly broken. Iím just glad I donít have children to leave this mess to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďItís all in the reflexes.Ē

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast