Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Am I Home?

Blog Entries

Default Why Am I Home?

The water is too low to safely operate my boat on any but the glaciated rivers. Water temps are way high and levels lower than ever in my 15 year experience here. Any salmon are sitting still and not moving up river for obvious reasons. This is like end times if you love Spey casting for salmon....

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Thanks kayo thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why Am I Home?

Hang tough my friend....this too will come to pass.....hopefully sooner than later. Fall/Winter can be great equalizers.

4. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Ard I talked about you and the situation in Alaska to a friend ....it was hard for him to believe me.Such a lack of water is not surprising here of course but difficult to imagine in your corner of the world.sad and worrying indeed.I know what you feel my friend.
    Last edited by jpbfly; 08-15-2019 at 03:02 PM.

6. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

United States Drought Monitor > Current Map > State Drought Monitor

Hate to hear about the drought. The link above shows some of the extent of the drought. It’s a big area considering just how big Alaska is. And I have no idea how accurately the link lines up with the actual conditions. It tracks pretty well with conditions in my area, but Alaska might be different in that regard. Certainly drought puts a lot of stress on the flora and fauna and can have long term consequences.

Hope you get relief soon.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

8. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

There was one period of rain about 4 weeks ago now, over a 3 day stretch we got 1.20 inch. Other than that no real water since the snow melted in April here and May in other parts. The mountains are void of snow and smaller glaciers in danger of disappearing. Currently it's 75* at the house at 11:46 AM and getting sunny so look for 80's later.

Valley Silver Salmon are in a very bad way but the department of fish & game has not even hinted at a closure as of today. The counts are below 50% of the Low Escapement Goal on every river and the rivers are warming and drying up.

I e-mailed yesterday with a laundry list of my observations over the past 14 days and have had no reply from the regional biologist who oversees the fisheries in the valley. I am at a loss for thought as to what they are waiting for. The fish are packed into any spots that have water and are being targeted by any means when there is no trace of enforcement officers or closures.

I am witnessing the death of these runs.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Last weekend as I was fishing along the Denali highway, some friends from work were hunting caribou (successfully). They told me I brought Texas weather with me because it’s always been cold, wet, rainy, sleety, and even snowy up there this time of year. But this year...partly sunny, warm (for Alaskans) and DRY. To me who doesn’t know any better it seemed great! To them who do...they’re worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It’s all in the reflexes.”

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

I recognized a stream in your post and looking at the photo realized how low it looked. Those creeks up there are generally ripping at this time of year. Good for walking and wading though, here everything is very very low.

14. Likes mcnerney, Joey Bagels liked this post
    Blog Entries

While it may seem to many that I live in a fishing paradise things are turning bad as the years go on here. I am now landlocked. Other than the silt filled glacier fed rivers every stream and small river in my area is too low for me to use the jet boat. The boat will skim over a mere 2 1/2 inches of water if there are no stones protruding at the surface but there are stones now in all the tailouts of the runs and pools.

Any salmon in the rivers are sitting still in any water over 2 foot deep and the water continues to warm and drop. No rain and regardless of what national weather pages on computer screens say the temp here was an even 80 yesterday with the sun just pounding away at those glaciers that supposedly are not really melting away....

Anyone who doesn't recognize what is happening at an accelerated rate here either lives thousands of miles away or have zero skills of observation and comprehension.

There are still people trying to use boats on these shrinking flows, still trying to get their limit of those trapped fish! I am here apparently to witness the beginning of the end.

Sound a bit Chicken Little? The sky is falling.... I've been watching this approach for years, many years, and what I am seeing as culmination of the past decade of continued warming and drought is not the imagination of a tree hugger. This is really happening and the results will be long lasting.

PS. I would have said "The boy who cried Wolf" but we have killed over 90% of those off through the aerial shooting and ground trapping programs over the past 10 years. It's war on the wolf, and war on the salmon in my part of Alaska.

16. Likes troutman75, Joey Bagels, MarsB, ejsell liked this post

I trust what you report more than some politician or actor lecturing me from their yacht on how to reduce my carbon footprint when they are burning 1 gallon of diesel per mile in the Mediterranean after flying across the atlantic in their private jet....

Blog Entries

Gotta love that 16 year old Climate Activist Greta Thunberg crossing the North Atlantic on a sailing boat to attend the climate conference in NY. The kid is serious.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast