Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cooper Landing

Default Cooper Landing

Hope everyone's fall is going well. My girlfriend and I are headed down to Cooper Landing the first weekend in October. I'll have a few hours here or there to fish. My experience is primarily Quartz Creek since I like to tenkara fish with a bead. I have a few logistical questions:

1. Is it possible to get to the Russian River without taking the ferry? I've avoided the area because it's always packed but figure numbers should be down in October.

2. I've seen people fish from shore all over the upper Kenai. There should still be some silver salmon in the system. Is it worth parking and fishing in some of the pull out areas or would I be better to just focus all my time on Russian River?

Default Re: Cooper Landing

Never mind. I found your previous posts. I just never imagined fishing a Tenkara in AK with beads.

Last edited by flytie09; 09-17-2019 at 07:46 PM.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

It's pretty much the same concept as using using a beadhead nymph. It's absolutely dynamite on smaller streams like Quartz or on any of the streams in Juneau. Bigger streams or rivers I just use 5 or 6 weight.

Ended up just fishing the Russian River. I've largely avoided it in my 10 years in Alaska as I don't really care for large crowds. The weather was beautiful which made for a nice weekend of work release from Bethel.
    zB0QX58OStyGd+EquCFhiQ.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_32.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Sorry I missed your first post, by now you may know that if you enter via the USF&W area at Russian River Campground and park at the Grayling lot you can access easily. I'd advise walking upstream toward lower falls if trout fishing.

I'll send you some road access spots PM.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Sorry I missed your first post, by now you may know that if you enter via the USF&W area at Russian River Campground and park at the Grayling lot you can access easily. I'd advise walking upstream toward lower falls if trout fishing.

I'll send you some road access spots PM.
    No worries! I generally prefer stream fishing so the Russian River, on a cool fall day, made for a beautiful weekend.