Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Bad to Worse?

Blog Entries

Default Bad to Worse?

Or maybe from bad to another kind of bad? It finally rained 3 weeks ago after holding out for nearly 3 1/2 months. As luck would have it I was camped along a river when it came. it came with enough velocity to blow the river out overnight and to tear my shelter tarp down with high winds.

Following that weeks fishing I returned home and set about working the home river but this had to be done between hard rains which in turn blew this one up also... The day dawned clear and the temp is already at 47* here with brilliant sun but my river is 14 inches higher than it was Wednesday as I fished through the deluge that I knew would ruin any chances for the next 5 days.

Trouble is that soon the boat ramps will get icy and when that happens it's over.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes spm liked this post

Default Re: Bad to Worse?

How about worse to good!!
    Worse...I got up at 5am to fix my daughter pan cakes and packed her a lunch so she could run to the HS, has to be there by 6am to get on the bus at for a soccer game. Go out start her car and even scrapped the windows in the freezing cold. two hour drive to a conference team, in Montana, schools are spread out, but probably not as bad as Alaska. Frost was very bad, game started at 10am with 22 degree temps...warmed up to 33 by noon!! Game was cold.
    Good new, Libby has a brewery and it opens at noon which is 15 minutes after the game ended!!! Better news, they had the fireplace roaring...and cold beer. Coincidence I have a fly rod in my vehicle and decide to drive home through Eureka and hit the Kootani. Friend text me a 'secret spot'. Drive in, get parked and as I get out of my vehicle I hear fish jumping everywhere. 1 hour of fishing, and 2 fish landed, 2 fish got off, 3 others I missed, I decided to move on. HA brewery is just over an hour away and they open at 3pm...start driving and get there at 3:15 and get the last table!! Small brewery but great beer. As we get ready to leave another set of parents come in and sit with us. we decide to stay for one more beer when they post a rib special for dinner!!!! So another beer and some ribs!!!
    Got home and checked college football scores and Purdue won!!
    Worse to good!!!
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

4. Likes flyminded, dennyk, bushak liked this post
    Blog Entries

We've had some pretty big rains come through here as well. In the last couple weeks it was not uncommon to have a stream I fish up 3-4 feet. But the good news is it's a tributary to a major Michigan river system, so it rises quickly and also recedes in the same fashion.

This time of the year with the rains come another fresh run of Steelhead, salmon and lake run Brown trout. I was able to get out last Friday before more rains moved in and the stream was full of Chinook Salmon. I was into one King 20+pounds in a pool between a couple rapids. Had him on for about a minute before he straightened my streamer hook out (25#leader butt with a 20# tippet). I had to try and keep him in that pool and keep him out of those rapids so it was all or nothin'. Hopefully better luck with the precipitation this upcoming week.

P.S- Ard- The good news, those double loop braided connectors I got from you work like a charm! I've got the 30# on the set up I was using Friday. With the pressure I was putting on that King I know the leader would have cut through the loop coating on the fly line. Thanks Man!

Denny

The upper Midwest is the new Seattle. We don't want to hear any whining about rain. OMG the big river is up again. Unknown tells me he's got more water coming to us. Good news is we got a frost. That will knock the jungle down that made a lot of creeks really, really hard to fish with six foot tall weeds all the way to the bank.

7. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    The upper Midwest is the new Seattle. We don't want to here any whining about rain. OMG the big river is up again. Unknown tells me he's got more water for us. Good news is we got a frost. That will knock the jungle down that made a lot of creeks really, really hard to fish with six foot tall weeds all the way to the bank.
    Good news with the frosts!! I was out exploring a couple weeks ago and decided to cut across an island to fish a stretch of stream I have yet to fish. Didn't work out too well, dam near kilt myself. Through the thick brush and the muli-flora rose bushes I could not see where my footfalls were placed, wound up wiping out a couple times. Hopefully the frosts will help before I make another attempt- and I think I may have found another entry point.

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Good news with the frosts!! I was out exploring a couple weeks ago and decided to cut across an island to fish a stretch of stream I have yet to fish. Didn't work out too well, dam near kilt myself. Through the thick brush and the muli-flora rose bushes I could not see where my footfalls were placed, wound up wiping out a couple times. Hopefully the frosts will help before I make another attempt- and I think I may have found another entry point.

Denny
    You have to live here to "get it" We need the typical 6-8 weeks of heat and drought or the fertile soil makes it the Amazon. More winter fishing than usual is going to have to happen to salvage this. I'm not waiting for next APR-MAY. I've sacrificed all I intend to sacrifice lol.

10. Likes dennyk liked this post